Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shock cord inside channel

Hi Folks !

Question here, I'm diy an underquilt and I want to adjust it in the middle of the hammock with a shock cord.

If you look at my drawing, I want to run a shock cord through the channel on the side and I want to add a cordlock to adjust the shock cord.
    My problem is the blue X, how do I fix the shock cord inside the hammock, do I have to sew the ends of the shock cord to the fabric or there is a better way ?

Sans titre.jpg

299674241_435404415297806_3196660596144422209_n.jpg

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I'd not sew it. If you do and it rips, you have a problem. Shock cord wears, and when it does, you have a problem. How about just bringing the shock cord out at both ends? You could even just use another lock on each end (so three on each side). Or have a very small button hole opening at each end with enough shock cord pulled thru to then knot as a stopper.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I'd not sew it. If you do and it rips, you have a problem. Shock cord wears, and when it does, you have a problem. How about just bringing the shock cord out at both ends? You could even just use another lock on each end (so three on each side). Or have a very small button hole opening at each end with enough shock cord pulled thru to then knot as a stopper.
    How about this as a slight modification to the above?: Small button hole on one end with a stopper knot in the shock cord and a cord lock on the other end.

Two things:

No need to tension from the middle unless you want to tension one end more than the other.

The real question is: Why do you want to pucker the edge of an UQ at all? The common practice is the have the UQ edge stretched tight along the length of the hammock. If anything, I believe you want to be able to cinch the ends up against the bottom of the hammock.

My personal preference is to use non-stretch cord at the head end with cord locks to set the length of that cord to properly position the UQ and then use shock cord, again with cord locks, on the foot end to stretch out the UQ and snug it up to the hammock.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-17-2022 at 15:59.

Thank you that's exactly what I will do!!! At each end with a knot and something to tentions on the other side

What is the suspension? The shockcord can continue out the end and go around and back in on the other side to become the suspension. Look at the Jacks R Better Greylock underquilt.

I know but some says that the underquilt is going to slip and fold like an accordéon in the middle...

Quote Originally Posted by noldhor View Post
    I know but some says that the underquilt is going to slip and fold like an accordéon in the middle...
    Huh?

I think quilt hooks, in one form or another, are probably the best solution for keeping an UQ from slipping to one side, one next to your head and one next to your feet.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-17-2022 at 20:05.

Your cordlocks where the shockcord exits the under quilt can keep the underquilt from slipping on the shockcord. You could add grossgrain looks to keep the cordlocks from moving and really capture them.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My under quilt has a primary and a secondary suspension.
    Primary suspension is shock cord going through entire length of under quilt side channel. It continues on to end of hammock, passing through a mini carabiner that is snapped onto continuous loop of amsteel at end of hammock, continuing back through other side channel, to other end of hammock, passing through another mini carabiner snapped onto amsteel continuous loop. Then it connects (overhand knot connection) with other end of same shock cord, to form an elongated oval primary suspension.

Most under quilts have a small loop sewn on each corner. A secondary suspension, made of shock cord can start at foot end small loop and extend to same mini carabiner, passing through it and returning to other pull loop on under quilt foot end.
    Plastic hardware can be added for final adjustments.
    Another length of shock cord can be used for head end of under quilt in same way as foot end.

Our cottage vendors use various and similar set ups to suspend under quilts.

One function of secondary suspension, is to “stretch” under quilt so that under quilt does not migrate to lowest middle section of under quilt and hammock. In other words, it prevents “accordion effect”, resulting in air gaps and CBS cold butt syndrome!

Good luck!

Wow nice explanation Phantom!!!
    Thx!
    In the past I diy a jarbridge underquilt clone, but this time I really want to add some shock cord to get a better fit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast