Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    7/64 amsteel is perfect for hammock whoopie slings and suspensions. I’m not throwing any shade here.

General curiosity about breaking strengths as tested. 7/64 passes test every day by hammock campers world wide.

I use 1/8 amsteel because I can, for fun, I know it’s overkill, but I never know when one of my off the wall suspensions will put amsteel to the test.

1/8 amsteel costs more, weighs more, and requires (?)a longer(?) bury
    For me, it’s easier to splice and makes a larger button type knot.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankenator View Post
    Quick math shows th1649 break/5 is over 300 lbs with a 5 times safety factor.....seems as safe as most suspensions.....
    It's really a 'miracle' material when you think about it!

Of course, so is Spandex.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

“Lots of people hang regularly on 7/64" whoopies with 8" bury for the eye splice and the adjustable bury. I don't think I've ever read about any failures.“

So have you ever looked at the Eno Helios suspension? I have a set. It is like a weird corporate designed whoopie sling. The cord looks like 7/64” or 1/8” Amsteel. The bury on the adjustable loop is only about 3”. The bury on the eye is 4”only and is stitched all the way. Why would they do that? Supposing it is rational (it doesn’t have to be) perhaps they want the adjustable loop to slip before anything breaks? And the bury on the fixed loop is made to be stronger than the adjustable loop, with no chance it can work loose so the stitching, and plus maybe for customer confidence? I have not had it slip. The conclusion I make from this is that the Amsteel has much more strength than we need at over 1500 lbs. The longer burys specified are so to match the strength of the cord, but they don’t really need that much strength for our use. It makes you think.

And on the loose end, instead of a backsplice is a heavy metal tube that weighs as much as the cord. Strange!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    “Lots of people hang regularly on 7/64" whoopies with 8" bury for the eye splice and the adjustable bury. I don't think I've ever read about any failures.“

So have you ever looked at the Eno Helios suspension? I have a set. It is like a weird corporate designed whoopie sling. The cord looks like 7/64” or 1/8” Amsteel. The bury on the adjustable loop is only about 3”. The bury on the eye is 4”only and is stitched all the way. Why would they do that? Supposing it is rational (it doesn’t have to be) perhaps they want the adjustable loop to slip before anything breaks? And the bury on the fixed loop is made to be stronger than the adjustable loop, with no chance it can work loose so the stitching, and plus maybe for customer confidence? I have not had it slip. The conclusion I make from this is that the Amsteel has much more strength than we need at over 1500 lbs. The longer burys specified are so to match the strength of the cord, but they don’t really need that much strength for our use. It makes you think.

And on the loose end, instead of a backsplice is a heavy metal tube that weighs as much as the cord. Strange!
    I've never seen that Eno suspension in person and don't know the rationale behind their design. Sewing the fixed eye bury can't hurt, but does it help... or is it necessary? Hmm... I really don't know. From photos of the system I've seen it appears to employ a couple of carabiners, and I don't know if those are included as essential elements that are part of the system weight.

Perhaps your hypothesis explains the idea behind a very short bury for the adjustable part. Again, I don't know but it seems to confirm that something short — or much less short! — of the 8" 'standard' works fine. I'd image they've sold a whole bunch of those by now and would have some customer feedback is there was an issue.

I also don't understand the metal tube thingie. I've done a few end buries myself and can't imagine them coming out unless somebody is playing "crack the whip" with them! Maybe they don't know how to do an end bury (lol) and are simply folding back and crimping?

All that said, early on I experimented with most options but have been using simple webbing and knots for so long now that anything beyond that is (for me) just faff.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12