HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

VIDEO: Ventana Wilderness Overnighter

Hey everyone. I made a video of my 2nd backpacking trip with the hammock setup. It was pretty hot out there. I used the HG Economy 20 degree top quilt and underquilt and it was a bit overboard since the temps never dipped below 50 degrees.

Enjoy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRHays4jm2o

From the description:
    Solo Overnight Hammock Backpacking Trip at the Ventana Wilderness Los Padres National Forest
    8/7/202 - 8/8/2022
    I took a quick trip to the Ventana Wilderness from the Arroyo Seco Campground Trailhead. This is the second trip with the backpacking hammock setup.
    The goal for this trip was to take in the moment. Enjoy what comes on the trail. Look out for trees for nice hammock hanging options and to avoid widowmakers. This is the first time taking out the Hammock Gear Economy Incubator 20 degree underquilt. Overnight temperatures never dipped below 50 degrees so it was more than adequate.
    I mapped out a route to go as far as Willow Springs Campground but found a nice pair of trees at Tassajara Creek Campground so set up camp there.
    The next morning I stopped by the Horse Bridge for lunch and coffee and found another sweet hang spot.
    It was hot in certain areas. Both the Pixel 4a and Insta360 Go overheated when trying to shoot time lapse. When I got back to the car, the outside temperature reading was 96 degF.

Coffee: https://cosmiccoffeecompany.com/prod...e-grown-coffee
    Gear: https://lighterpack.com/r/f65rs8
    Alltrails recording (with pictures): https://www.alltrails.com/explore/re...g-trip-6a0724f
    Music: Little Trinketry by Daniel Jacob Teper - Valiant Hearts (The Great War Original Game Soundtrack)

edit: figuring out the whole youtube embedding.
    Last edited by rodfather; 08-10-2022 at 10:04.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow.....you sure do prep food fast! Haaaaaa
    Always like seeing newer folks get into the hammock life.
    Whooooooo Buddy))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Oh man. You don't know how much that means to me. Thanks, Shug. You made my day and I had a bad one today.

Funny thing, I stopped by Safeway before heading out on that trip. Hoping they had some medaglia d'oro instant espresso coffee. They ran out unfortunately. But I had my go to Carlos coffee. This man is a genius. I work at farmers markets selling strawberries for my cousin. Carlos serves and sells his coffee at a stand at one of the markets we attend this man is really picky. With the beans, the way he filters his water. He's the real deal and could use some love. https://cosmiccoffeecompany.com/

Anyway, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't be here. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Funny thing is, you might get me into two rabbit holes. I used to mess around with my buddy's mandolin during my college years and absolutely loved it. I'm thinking about tapping back into that lost love.

Didn't include this in the video so this one is for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ30xtijKs8

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Nice setup! Man, with those day time temps I hope the humidity was low. Summer time is basically no camping for me here...just too humid and swampy at night.

I primarily use a 40F Phoenix (their 3/4 length UQ) and Burrow combo for most of my trips...helps save on weight and bulk, and keeps me comfortable down into the 50s. However, if it drops into the 40s I find that I need to supplement the footbox or my calves get chilly.

What's with the two pillows? I thought I saw you use one under your knees...dealing with calf ridge?

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Thanks! Over here in the West it's dry. It was actually a really pleasant 50 degF at night. I rolled up the tarp in the snakeskin so I could see the stars.

Yeah eventually I'll probably pick up a more Summer specific top quilt/underquilt combo but my pack weight wasn't too bad anyway. The 40degF Phoenix is definitely on my list hah.

As for the pillows, yeah pretty much. It just feels way more comfortable with a pillow under my knees. Or even just a stuff sack with clothes. Prevents me from locking my knees. I think I picked that up from Schill Brothers Outdoors.

Good setup! Pillow under the knees makes me feel comfortable as well. My neighbor recently got Myerstech polyester kit and it will be tested this week. The new tires and xd wheels are getting installed tomorrow and their off to Colorado.

• + New Posts