SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket

Tying back doors on Thunderfly?

My Superfly finally got a decent 18" rip in it due a branch falling on it when my stake pulled out while in porch mode...

Since I'm in the market for a new tarp, I'm considering going down to a simple hex as I find that I never really used my SF's doors. I suppose I like the idea of having them if I ever needed them but I only camp in the summer and except for a couple of times I thought some extra privacy would be good, tying them back using mitten hooks + shock cord is generally the first thing I do when setting it up.

I don't have any particular UL requirements but instead of going all the way to a hex, the Thunderfly caught my eye in that it should be able to provide protection should I really need it. I'm particularly curious how well you can tie the doors back though considering I will probably be doing it 100% of the time unless I really need them deployed. I saw some videos of people running shock chord the length of the tarp and that is certainly not what I want to manage (I'd probably favor another Superfly over doing that) I also saw examples of people clipping the doors on top of the tarp but I can only imagine the doors would slide up and down the tarp RL and/or flap in the wind making noise. I also wouldn't want to always stake the doors out to the tree or ground. Curious if anyone can share their experience with their doors on this or similar non-full door tarps?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Personally, I always want a full tarp with doors, because you can't predict the weather. I have an HG Winter Palace tarp, and it's lightweight, has the same coverage as the Superfly but half the weight.

Then again, if you're the type of person who doesn't go out in bad weather, then you can go for skimpier tarps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I just use the mini biners it comes with to clip it over the top of the tarp (or CRL when I use one). Look at the right side of the photo below to see it in action.

Thunderfly Closeup.jpg

I've never had any problems with the beaks sliding or flapping in the wind when they are clipped up like this. It's actually a tighter connection than it looks. But if heavy wind or rain are in the forecast, it's a simple matter for me to unclip the biners from above the tarp and connect them to the guyline I've already put in place to create the beaks. When deployed and taut, the beaks definitely don't flap in the wind.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

The Thunderfly is my all-time favorite tarp. I only wish they made it in Dynema. As far as the mini-doors, I take a long piece of shock cord and tie a mitten hook on each end. Do this for each side. When the doors are not in use, I clip to the underside of the tarp where they are out of the way. You can deploy in two ways, take the cord and attach one end to the door tie-out, go around the tree and attach to the other side. I really bad weather I double the cord, bring the two door tie-outs together, larkshead the cord then go around the tree.

Here are some pics that happen to be a Mountainfly, which may be a good choice to replace your Superfly as it gives good protection in almost any weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The great thing with the Thunderfly is, that you can simply clip the mini-doors together over the ridgeline with a biner. No cord needed. They don't slide or flap.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I either stake them out if rain is forecast, or just clip the on the ridgeline if it's clear. Since they're not super long like full doors, you can just slide right under rather than having to unclip and open like the doors on the Superfly.

Haven't had any issues with the stowed beaks flapping in the wind. Besides, if it's windy you're gonna hear the tarp billow and collapse...plus all the other fun noises like crashing limbs and falling trees.

2019-12-14_10-15-15_082 (2).jpg 2020-06-26_08-09-31_982 (1).jpg

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Thanks for all the replies. After looking at the pictures, indeed it would seem that it shouldn't slide up and down or flap as I had initially thought in my head. I think I'll be ordering one of these as replacement and transfer over my snakeskin and CRL from the ripped Superfly.

• + New Posts