Hammock
    DD Frontline XL

Thumbs up DIY UC with VINTAGE 1969 down sleeping bag!

Tried to make a therma-rest work with my DD Frontline XL.... Nope. Underquilt is a necessity. I converted to down bags many moons ago and the thought of a synthetic or even COTTON filled UC is making me feel.... dirty. But forking out $$$$$ for a proper down UC also makes me feel.....cheap

We have a consignment outdoor shop in my small town and in the back I found an old down filled bag dating back to 1969!!!! The stories (I hope) it can tell. Well the lady at the till said its been there FOREVER and for $25 I can have it. For the tag alone its worth the $25 IMHO.
    IMG_6306.jpgIMG_6303.jpg

Well ALL of the down was sitting at the very bottom of the bag (it was hung vertical) so after a good wash and three rounds of tennis in the drier bouncing around I managed to get some pretty impressive loft. Allot of shaking and massaging filled the baffles back up. I little bit of sewing to seal off the baffles once I even the fill out I can start to make a UC.

This will be my first UC (I am new to hanging) so I am thinking of shock cord down the sides in sleeves (so I can pull it up and down the hammock as needed) and maybe a draw string/cinch at the head and foot to pull it tight? I will have to search for some photos (there HAS to be thousands on this forum).

Wanted to share what I think is a good find (especially for the price) and document some of the build. If anyone has any tips or hints I am all ears. Have sewing machine and not afraid to use it!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That label says, "Down Mix," which doesn't sound very promising. Back in 1969, you'd probably be lucky to get 60% down and the rest would be feathers, but "down mix" implies an even lower percentage of down. As insulation goes, it doesn't sound like a find, but it does sound heavy as heck!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-15-2022 at 01:33.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I hope your mod works out well for you. If you're car camping and encounter milder temperatures it should work out fine.

Your description of intended addition of side and end channels (with 1/8" shock cord) is the basic idea. Width of about 52" is good.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DD Frontline XL
    C4DDAC53-B66E-4D8C-977B-222A97D151D1.jpg323A0724-6046-43BF-9554-9AB056D896C4.jpgProgress being made. I had a couple two steps forward and one step back moments but it’s ready for a test hang. I am curious about the fit with the DD Frontline XL poles and if I need to do any side connections like the DD UC.

Hammock
    DD Frontline XL
    Well success! The width and length seem to be bang on for my size and the Frontline XL. Very hard to take photos without help...
    IMG_6315.jpgIMG_6318.jpg

In response to the mention of temperatures, I only need something that is good down to 5°C. Will find out this weekend if its suitable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    It IS a great tag!
    Good luck this weekend

Hammock
    DD Frontline XL
    So two nights, success with the exception of wind. One night there was a slight breeze flowing parallel to my hang. I was on the ridge of a river and wind coming down the valley seemed made both the air above me quite cool and I felt like my UC was hit and miss for warmth. When the wind died down I was warm, but I did wake up at 5am with a coool buttocks.....

Question, should I get a UC protector for some wind protection plus prevent moisture from morning dew being soaked in?

• + New Posts