SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps

Narrow width Topquilt with occasional ground use

I want to get a lightweight 20 degree quilt to reduce my pack weight and to help with compression. I will mostly use it in the hammock but occasionally tent camp with my dogs. Would something like HG’s Burrow in the 50” width still work on the ground with a pad? Looks like only ~1-2oz difference between standard and wide but I’d like to get my base weight as low as comfortably possible. Anyone here have experience using narrower width quilts on the ground?

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    It’s absolutely possible. I’ve used the JRB 20* Hudson River, at 48” wide on the ground with success. That was with a good pad (xtherm) in 35* temps. It will of course be fussier. If you toss and turn a lot, not ideal at all. I wouldn’t however bring a narrow quilt like that down to it’s stated temp…too fussy for me.
    kris

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tested my HG TQ on ground. It's all in the video.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    1 to 2 oz? Ultra-light seems to be a disease. One that can kill you on a bad day.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Some of it depends on how big you are, if you sleep on your back or are a side sleeper etc. I have UGQ and HG with all being wide just in case.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'd get the wide in that temp range. Premium with 10D (in and out) and 950FP for max weight savings and stuffability.

2oz is not worth it for this critical item. Ruthless review of your gear list can easily shed this elsewhere. Even with food... of which I invariably carry too much — one Power Bar is 2.4oz.

Also, very highly recommend the ground pad attachment kit. Reduces drafts to nil and keeps everything together when changing sleep position.

Even in a hammock I prefer a wider TQ as the temps get colder, and I'm 5'8"/168.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I have a wide HG Burrow 20F. I've not had to go to ground with it, but I really like having the wide width in the hammock, especially when it starts getting colder.

I think you would be happier having the wide width if you use your TQ as a ground option.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Ask yourself, "What if it isn't?". Then you've invested coin in something that might work. As others have said, it depends on how large you are (and how much you move around). Recall that when you are in a traditional sleeping bag, on the ground, it completely encloses you. That's a feature and the reason one of my hiking adventurers still uses her sleeping bag when in a RidgeRunner.

Also, in the hammock, when you tuck the TQ in, the hammock itself and the sides of the UQ come up to hold it in place and close any gap. You will not have that on the ground.

I have a HG 20° WIDE option TQ that I use at that time of year when the weather person - who isn't sleeping outside - starts giving us guesses rather than predictions. I'm amazed at how much more tuck-in-able it is for what seems like a little extra width. To be clear, I haven't used it on the ground. If I did, in the winter, I'd also be inside a bivi sack - which holds it in place too.

I study my tolerance well. I know the rating/brand of my quilts and I check what the minium temperature was the night I used it. And I always allow a "cushion" (I don't use a 20° quilt when the temperature is supposed to be in the low 20°'s - I go down to 10° or 0°.

If I knew I'd be occasionally going to ground, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Wide Option TQ. You can always vent it if it seems too warm. Much more difficult to make it warmer if too cold.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I guess it depends on how wide your shoulders are and if you side sleep or toss & turn a lot.
    I picked up a wide Hammock Gear 20 deg top quilt (paired with a Nemo Tensor Wide) before I had a hammock setup. I wanted to switch to a quilt from my sleeping bag because I tend to toss and turn a lot and the sleeping bag would turn with me. So figured a wide quilt would be nice with the pad straps. It worked out great but then got into hammocks...
    Now when in the hammock, a wide top quilt isn't really needed since I'm not tossing and turning at all.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I've only had to go to ground once, but my regular width quilt got me thru a night in the low 30s on a well insulated pad just fine. Now the wife, daughter, and 70 lb lab were in the 2P tent with me for this incident so I'd imagine we weren't too close to the 20* rating inside that tent, but still I was surprised that it seemed to cover my rather well fed self quite well.

All that being said, just because you can doesn't mean you should and if it was a normal use case and I were looking to buy a new quilt and my only concern were the weight, well then a wide quilt just seems mighty inviting as an offering.

• + New Posts