Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Definitely hadn't thought about less steep angle. I did have my tarp ridgeline up higher given the low chance of rain (so I could walk around easier) for the first 2 instances. The 3rd instance had a shallower angle, but that's probably higher uplift and why the stake pulled though that seems to have easier fixes. The engineer in me prefers controlled failure points to protect the less fixable problem of the tarp body ripping.
    Engineer? Ah you should have mentioned that before. I have a few friends that are engineers. That would have changed my entire post. Probably would have just posted “You’ll figure it out” lol.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I see you have a snakeskin so that's the first step in setting up in the wind. But I didn't see where you mentioned your orientation to the wind. It seems natural to want the tarp broadside to the wind. And of course, there are two, or more, schools of thought on that. These days I set up parallel to the wind. 1) it presents a smaller surface area for the wind to push against. 2) it allows the support trees to act as part of the windbreak. 3) the aerodynamics seem to give the sides lift rather than pushing them in (have to adjust the stakeouts for that).

Also, I have to remember I don't need to set a level ridgeline. I can lower the end facing the wind a bit. I also have a little bungee in the setup (side guylines). It allows the tarp to flex and spill the wind load, then bounce back into place.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    Instance 1: the tarp above (12' HG Journey), very windy conditions I'd guess at about 25-30 mph gusts with little protection. My linelocs on the ridgeline slipped during a gust after multiple instances of stakes pulling out. We ended up moving camps to a much more wind protected area and had no further issues that trip.

I've also got a 12' HG Journey, it also has slipped on me once or twice. I have linelocs connecting to beasty D's. Since then I've done two things and not had problems in some pretty serious rain and wind. First, I added a very beefy bungie loops to my Beasty-Ds to act as a shock absorber in windy conditions. I expect to have to change these out annually as they will wear out. Second, with pretty much every lineloc I use I now put a slippery half hitch just underneath the lineloc to keep it from slipping.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    Instance 1: the tarp above (12' HG Journey), very windy conditions I'd guess at about 25-30 mph gusts with little protection. My linelocs on the ridgeline slipped during a gust after multiple instances of stakes pulling out. We ended up moving camps to a much more wind protected area and had no further issues that trip.

I've also got a 12' HG Journey, it also has slipped on me once or twice. I have linelocs connecting to beasty D's. Since then I've done two things and not had problems in some pretty serious rain and wind. First, I added a very beefy bungie loops to my Beasty-Ds to act as a shock absorber in windy conditions. I expect to have to change these out annually as they will wear out. Second, with pretty much every lineloc I use I now put a slippery half hitch just underneath the lineloc to keep it from slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill View Post
    I'm assuming Lineloc hooks if you're using them with Beasty Ds (?) What sort of cordage slipped?

(I've pretty much given up on using Zing-It/Lash-It with Linelocs. I've found 2mm (non-UHMWPE) to hold well.)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I'm assuming Lineloc hooks if you're using them with Beasty Ds (?) What sort of cordage slipped?

(I've pretty much given up on using Zing-It/Lash-It with Linelocs. I've found 2mm (non-UHMWPE) to hold well.)
    It was yellow "lash-it" with a detachable tension hook. Agreed, will not use Zing-it or Lash-it with linelocs again, too much slippage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12