Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images

Advice on 'my' next hammock

I have a great problem. I need to buy another hammock. My youngest is now about 6’ and does not fit so well in the Hennessey asym. So I want to get a hammock that is a better fit. He likes my XLC. I doubt he will like the ridgerunner for the same reasons I had a problem with it. Tall restless side sleeper.
    We do both like the shelf. I really like the footbox but he is more likely to sleep on either diagonal. To the point he is not as fond of the wooki.

I have a few options:

Just buy the same thing again. Safe. We know we both like it. But also boring and I like the opportunity to try out new designs.

Buy the XLC but a double layer. This is really more for me. I am at the upper range of the weight recommendations (~225lbs) so I might like the firmer lay. But this is also boring. And perhaps both of us like more sag. I am super happy with the XLC single layer so why rock the boat?

Last is to buy a completely different design. I have two that I am thinking of:

Dutchware Chameleon:
    Upside – symmetric design (lets him sleep on either diagonal). Well loved by many.
    Downside – pretty spendy but I already have an UQ that will work so that helps. I speced it out (with bugnet) at about $230. Neither of us may like it. This happened with the RR. Too narrow for either of us (fortunately it was really for my partner and she likes it).

Superior gear 11’:
    Upside – Super easy set up. Symmetric design. Also pretty well loved. Not bad on price (~400 with 15° UQ)
    Downside – really the same, neither of us may like it.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have a WB Eldorado (the older 70d fabric) and a symmetrical Chameleon in Hexon 1.6. Prefer the Chameleon, because I tend to switch lay directions. The asym design just doesn't work for me, but I do like the footbox as it helps reduce pressure on the outside foot.

I think the Hexon 1.6 is a bit firmer than the 70d material for the Eldorado. Can't compare it to the 40d Dreamtex they use now. I weigh about 260 and find it quite comfortable. DW does offer Hexon 1.2 which I assume will have more stretch compared to the 1.6.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    The Chameleon would give you more flexibility if you want to explore options. You can get it with a symmetrical bugnet and then add an asym bug net top cover like the XLC if you prefer that. I believe the accessories work with their wide chameleon too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itVbW1d-dcY

I was thinking about the Superior Gear hammock for the simplicity but I wanted the option of airing out or pulling the underquilt aside if it's too warm.

I'm pretty happy with the Hammock Gear Circadian with the symmetrical bugnet so far. I believe it's 1.6 Hexon. I still don't know my lay preference. Sometimes I'll switch in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodfather View Post
    The Chameleon would give you more flexibility if you want to explore options. You can get it with a symmetrical bugnet and then add an asym bug net top cover like the XLC if you prefer that. I believe the accessories work with their wide chameleon too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itVbW1d-dcY

I was thinking about the Superior Gear hammock for the simplicity but I wanted the option of airing out or pulling the underquilt aside if it's too warm.

I'm pretty happy with the Hammock Gear Circadian with the symmetrical bugnet so far. I believe it's 1.6 Hexon. I still don't know my lay preference. Sometimes I'll switch in the middle of the night.
    Superior Gear does make a hammock without the built in UQ so you can use any UQ. Just used mine on a 7 day canoe trip and used my Wilderness Logic 40º partial UQ. Good to go......https://superiorgear.com/product/starlite-hammock
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    If you like the idea of the shelf but don't want the same I would also vote chameleon, plenty of storage options but different enough from the blackbird.

The sparrow from dream hammock is also an option, no shelf but they do have your peak loft and a side pocket options with different sizes. You can do asym or sym with it and any size you want.
    Screenshot_20220803-102714_Chrome.jpg

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Second the DH Sparrow. Although I am sure all of the above are excellent. We will each develop preferences.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Grab a bottom-entry bugnet (HG has a nice one for $50 iirc) and try out some different fabrics in reasonably priced or diy netless hammocks.

• + New Posts