Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension

Hello from SoCal

Hello folks!

I started occasionally hanging about 9 years ago, when I bought my first leisure hammock chair from a street vendor on a vacation in Mexico. I started taking it with me on camping trips as as nice place to sit and read and just relax and take in the scenery. After going to a campground with a massive issue with horse flies, and red ants which wanted to crawl down the straps to take a bite of me I decided to look around for something with a bug net. Well, as luck would have it at the time Woot! (if any of you remember that website) had a Yukon Outfitters Mosquito Hammock XL on sale for $30!

Well, Life happened... and so I didn't get to use it much. Last year I started getting back out there and doing more camping, and became interested in trying this out again. Last weekend, I had an opportunity to go on a solo trip. Originally I was thinking I would just sleep in the SUV on a pad, but then I remembered my hammock and I got super excited - so I tried it out! The first night I didn't sleep well, I quickly learned that even in warm weather, you get a bit chilly at night with even the slightest breeze and I didn't quite have the angle on the hang just right, so after trying and failing to make adjustments in the dark I decided to abandon that for the car around 3AM -- which I found out was even less comfortable than a poorly hung hammock. The second night I got out my phone and used a level app to adjust the angle closer to 30 degrees, and to mitigate the chills used a sleeping bag as an underquilt inside the bag, put on my puffy vest, and use woobie blanket as a top cover. It was awesome! For the first time while out camping as an adult, I almost slept through the entire night without waking, and I slept much better than on the ground.

So here I am learning as much as I can to make the next trip even better. I am super excited to join the community! I've already discovered I definitely need an UQ (or maybe a supreme hammock with an integrated one... not really sure which way to go on this yet) and a lighter tarp than the heavy-duty hardware store tarp. I also should look at a new hammock, because the Yukon Outfitters Mosquito Hammock XL is just too short for me to get a great hang -- but Shug says it's a journey, so I am going to take my time and enjoy it.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You’re off to a flying start. My first hammock was an ENO, then
    11x5 A comfort jump
    12x6 A bigger comfort leap
    11.5x almost 6 About tied4 comfort with 12x6

Before I could afford quilts, I got a Gossamer Gear 40x70 inch closed cell foam pad about 3/16 inch thick
    As soon as I got under quilt and top quilt, they are my go2

Lots of good smart people here, ask questions, browse, and I use search engine to read old threads on Hammock Forums. I just type in the key words, and Safari or Google usually find threads here on Hammock Forums.

Good luck

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.2
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    You’re off to a flying start.
    hehe

Before I could afford quilts, I got a Gossamer Gear 40x70 inch closed cell foam pad about 3/16 inch thick
    As soon as I got under quilt and top quilt, they are my go2
    I have a couple of thermarest pads I need to try out, the basecamp and the MondoKing 3D XXL. I suspect the MondoKing is going to be way too big and bulky to work well, but the basecamp I think will work nicely as long as I don't inflate it too much. I need to give it a shot and see how it goes. I discovered that the sleeping bag slid around a lot, and me along with it when I used it as a quilt - so I can see how an underquilt will make a huge difference.

Lots of good smart people here, ask questions, browse, and I use search engine to read old threads on Hammock Forums. I just type in the key words, and Safari or Google usually find threads here on Hammock Forums.

Good luck
    Thanks!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Welcome to the hobby! You're jumping right in and doing it right- learning and asking questions. If you can find a group hang in your area, I would very much recommend it. You get to meet nice people and see lots of different rigs.

Have a great time-
    Charlotte

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Keep in mind the Hammock Learning Curve~~~
    Embrace it. Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Welcome. Another new hanger from California. I just started getting into it and patience is definitely something I need hah. It's not like there's a hammock store you can walk in and try like a mattress outlet. Also it can take a while for your custom order from a cottage vendor to arrive. It's been fun and there's a lot to learn.

• + New Posts