Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    With two hammocks 1/8 amsteel ridgeline and two hammocks 2.2 ZingIt or something similar.
    None of my hammocks have a busted ridgeline

And maybe I’ve heard of one or zero hammock ridgelines snapping. Maybe none I can remember.

And if a hammock ridgeline breaks, it just breaks and there is no bad result. Except possibly the taut line could flick your eye when it snapped.
    The hammock ends would instantly find their new equilibrium.
    And you’d want to replace ridgeline when you got home.

Mainly have fun out there, enjoy your friends and piney woods. Hammock camping is new to most of us. If you go to a group hang, you will not see any hammock campers campsite rigged identically to any other campsite.
    This is true, even if all the gear is identical, somewhere there will be hardware or knot different from the other setup.
    I guess you could have two rigs mirror imaged of one another—if the same person got all same accessories and setup both rigs.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I’ve snapped a ridgeline, though it wasn’t as strong as zingit. I was helping a friend put up one of those Thruhiker netless-with-fronkey hammocks that Dutch was selling discount, and the trees were really far apart. We didn’t put the tree straps high enough, drew it too tight, and it popped when she did a test-sit. Oops. Switched to different trees, tied up a quickie replacement with paracord, and replaced it for real later on. The plan B trees weren’t great spacing, so I don’t know that she had a great night either way, but it was good to learn that you can break a ridgeline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.2
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Bark beetles don't live on the bark; they burrow underneath the bark. Imagine two bark beetles burrowed underneath the bark, when they hear something:

And why would a bark beetle want to jump on a polyester tree strap? Maybe there's enough tree sap to sustain them for a day or two, but what if the owner of said tree strap doesn't go camping for another month or two? What's a bark beetle to do?
    I am less concerned about the grown beetles hopping a ride on my straps than the potential for eggs to get stuck on/in the webbing and transferring eggs from one tree to another. I read that these insects lay their eggs under the bark, so could be over thinking things... I suppose a quick wash in mild soapy water could be sufficient, but I am curious if there are other approaches, or if I really don't need to worry about this at all.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I treated my straps and hammock with permethrin before I went on my last trip. I noticed the ants on the tree wouldn't touch the straps. I'm not sure if it'll work on beetles but worth a shot.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    There are over five hundred different bark beetle species in the United States. In most of the cases, they bore threw the bark, lay their eggs and then die. The larvae often causes more damage than the adult. The major problem is that the adult bark beetle is often a vector for a fungus that does kill the tree. A pine in good condition can sometimes form a pitch tube that can smother the bug before it can damage the tree. Most of the controls, except for burning, are not that effective.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12