Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

VA, Grayson Highlands Fall Festival

11th Mt Rogers, Virginia Grayson Highlands State Park Fall Festival

September 22 through 26.

Some only stay Friday through Sunday., but we have the group site Thursday through Monday for those that want to hang out longer.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................

Since 1976 the Rugby Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department and Grayson Highlands State Park have entertained tens of thousands of people each year with their live exhibits of Appalachian culture, along with live music, lots of craft booths and food.

We began participating in the festival by manning a hammock demonstration area on Saturdays, 11 years ago, 2011
    Although we did miss one year due to not getting the group site reserved in time.

In return the state park has allowed us to camp for free in the group campground.
    The Festival is Rugby Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department's main fund raiser of the year.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................

About The Grayson Highlands Fall Festival

The 2021 Festival will be held the Saturday September 24 and Sunday September 25 from 10am until 5pm both days

Since 1976 the Rugby Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department, Inc. and Grayson Highlands State Park have entertained tens of thousands of people each year with their live exhibits of Appalachian culture. Step back into a simple age when horses and mules ground cane into juice to be boiled into sorghum or molasses; when apple cider was the soft drink of the time; when fresh apples were cooked in a copper kettle over an open fire all day long to render apple butter; when Saturday night was reserved for fiddling; and making music with the neighbors. Such was the lifestyle of the early Appalachian pioneers.

All proceeds from the Fall Festival go to the Rugby Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department, Inc. for emergency equipment and training.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................

We all ways have a raffle on Saturday eve.

The money from the raffle will be donated to Friends of Grayson Highlands State Park, after paying for the firewood.
    Some in our group buy lots of raffle tickets partly to add to the amount the raffle raises for the cause.
    Some just make donations.

Please register on the Google spreadsheet. It helps greatly with planning. The sheet is setup so you can change your answers at any time if your plans change or if you need to add or delete information.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...R6c/edit#gid=0
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................

If there is someone at the Park Entrance gate, you will just need to tell them that you are with the hammock group in the group site.
    There is no cost for your stay, but they will give you a tag to hang from your mirror.

In the past our group has caused parking issues for others in the campground.
    We encourage whenever possible to carpool.
    Parking available at edge of group camp site, by the Camp Store and across the road..
    Overflow parking requires driving to the park visitor center and shuttle back to the camp area.
    The Backpacker Parking lot is no longer an option, unless you make reservations for backpacking.

Don't forget to bring your camp chairs!

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................
    What goes on when.

Thurs, Sept 22... a few will arrive early to set up the Big Blue Tarp, SOB (Son Of blue, 20' x 30') and picnic tables under it.

Some may go out for day hikes or overnight backpacking over the weekend.
    Others just enjoy casual times around camp with friends.

Fri... more will show up. We do our own meals unless otherwise noted.
    Often times someone will bring something to share with others but there is no guarantee on that.

Saturday... See Spread Sheet for Group Meal planning.

Saturday Group Breakfast
    The Appalachian Trail runs through the park if you want to plan a backpacking trip or day hike but hopefully some will hang around to help clean up after breakfast first ;~)
    Lots of other trails too.

The Fall Festival is always fun and there will be a will ponies auction at 2:00!
    Hickery keeps saying he's going to ride one of those ponies.
    One day it will happen!

Festival is from 10am until 5pm, Sat & Sun.

We only do the Hammock demo on Sat.

Saturday Group Supper and Raffle, probably starting around 5pm.
    Lots of fun during the raffle!

Sunday
    A few leave early but most stick around to eat breakfast, talk and clean up around the group camp.
    Usually, some will go to a near by restaurant (about a 15 minute ride from camp) to eat breakfast/brunch/lunch.
    From there some will head home while others will stay Sunday night and leave Monday.
    I was told the Corner Market and Restaurant isn't open for breakfast anymore but if not, there is another nice looking restaurant, about the same distance going in the direction of Damascus.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................

Note: We always leave the group campsite cleaner than we find it.
    Those that stay until the end always do a final policing of the area to collect anything missed.
    Please help us by picking up during the camp time and as you leave.
    Thank you!

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................

Q&A

Campground Quiet Time: 10 PM to 7 AM.

Is there a place to buy stuff?
    Yes. There is a Camp Store right by the group site.
    They have Ice Cream!

Can I bring my dog?
    Yes! Dogs should be kept on leash at all times.

Is there water for camping?
    There are two fresh water spigots at the edge of the group site.

Are there picnic tables in the camping area?
    Yes. 8 tables. We line them in two rows under the 20' x 30' tarp.

What about bathrooms? I don’t poop good in the woods.
    Group camping has flush toilets for both men and women.

Where can I get a showers?
    There is a shower house a short walk or drive from the group camp in the main camp ground.

Will there be campfires?
    That's always the plan.
    One year it was so dry that they issued a "Fire Ban" but we still had a great time!
    We plan to have a fire in the large fire pit in the center of camp. We will look into having local firewood delivered to avoid bringing wood from areas that might be infested with the Emerald Ash Borer.

Are there grills?
    There are at least two permanent charcoal grills. You will need to bring charcoal if you want to use it.

What happens if it rains?
    We will have a 20' x 30' tarp strung high, under which we will assemble 6 or 8 picnic tables in two lines for food prep, eating & socializing.
    But always bring your rain gear/ umbrella.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to bring your camp chairs!

Wild ponies! Did we mention there are wild ponies in this park?!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hammock Forum Contacts for Hang: Private message Slowhike or Hickery.

General State Park Information

Address: 829 Grayson Highland Ln., Mouth of Wilson, VA, 24363
    GPS: Latitude: 36.628322 Longitude: -81.496889
    Park Phone: 276-579-7092
    https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/grayson-highlands

Emergency: Dial 911

We do allow “ground dwellers” but you might get converted!!!
    Last edited by slowhike; 07-31-2022 at 18:11. Reason: Submitted before finishing
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Hg dcf 12 winter
    Insulation
    Cro 20 set
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I can bring a tensa set up if you want me to Slowhike for the festival
    Not all those who wander are lost

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_tom View Post
    I can bring a tensa set up if you want me to Slowhike for the festival
    Yes, that would be a great addition.
    Thanks man.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Not everyone in our group takes part in the Hammock Camping Demo on Saturday (10am till about 5pm) but there are usually 5 or 10 of us that spend at least part of that time at the demo.
    I'll be there the whole time, except for going to get food or checking out some of the other activities.

As long as there are several of our group at the demo to answer questions from visitors, we can do a little strolling.

It's good to have as much variation in hammock gear as possible.
    It would be good if some of the hammocks have a tarp over them to show how we stay dry.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Signed up, looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I'll be there. Also, I renamed the Spreadsheet - it still said Mt. Rogers Winter Hang.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Be good to see y’all round campfire

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Be good to see y’all round campfire
    maybe this hang will be cooler Phantom - with ample time for coffee too.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    I'll be there can't wait
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    We are definitely in. Been planning since last year. Always on our list Have requested days off to be there. Have to see how much family will be there. Already signed on the sheet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast