Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steverox13 View Post
    What is the weather usually like this time of year? I have a 20* Greylock 3 and 20* bandit TQ. Any idea if these would suffice?
    Most likely, 20* quilts will suffice, but Batona Campground is car camping, so you can bring extra stuff to supplement your quilts. If the temps look to be low, you can always ask to borrow a quilt or two and stack them.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    I happen to have just moved to NJ, so it looks like I probably need to make my way to Batona for this!

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiguyver View Post
    I happen to have just moved to NJ, so it looks like I probably need to make my way to Batona for this!
    The more the merrier. Come on out. And welcome to NJ

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by njredneck; 10-05-2022 at 20:40.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I see a few new people who say they are bringing dogs. Just keep in mind that you will need to register your pet with copies of pet license and rabies registration on njportal.com. If you did not reserve a campsite, you can probably get someone who did to register the dog (if you provide them with the required documentation). There is a $5 additional fee for pets (dogs and cats only, no iguanas).

Also, while the njportal.com website says you're supposed to bring your pet license and proof of rabies shot to the office, I don't believe that is necessary as long as you pay the $5 fee, register them at njportal.com, and bring copies of the documentation.

Here's a link on pets:

https://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandfores...y_camping.html

Also, please keep your pets on a leash, as we have had problems in the past with those who did not think this rule applied to them and their roaming pets.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-05-2022 at 22:25.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Also, you are theoretically supposed to go to the office to get your camping permit, but nobody's done that since the COVID pandemic. Just print your reservation and bring it with you to the campsite. We sometimes have people not in our group who show up at the campsite and camp wherever they want with no reservation. If you have a printed reservation and they don't, they gots to move.

This doesn't apply to people who are part of our group but did not reserve a site. You'll be fine.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    For newbies to Batona Camp, you should check out Carranza Memorial, just 100 ft. from the entrance to Batona Camp. Here's a quick blurb:

The Carranza Memorial in Tabernacle marks the spot where Captain Emilio Carranza Rodríguez was killed while returning from a historic goodwill flight from Mexico City to the United States. Carranza became a national hero when, in the summer of 1928, he was selected to undertake a goodwill flight from Mexico City to New York City in response to the previous year's flight from New York City to Mexico City undertaken by American aviator Charles Lindbergh.

Carranza began his American visit by landing in Washington, D.C. on June 12 where he was congratulated by President Calvin Coolidge. He then flew to New York City and was honored by the city’s mayor. Carranza departed New York on July 12. Shortly after taking off, he encountered thunderstorms while flying over the NJ Pinelands. His plane, named the Excelsior, came apart and he crashed into the woods. His body was recovered the next day.

A 12-foot monument in Wharton State Forest marks the site of his crash. WikiMiniAtlas

The monument, installed with funds donated by Mexican schoolchildren, depicts a falling eagle of Aztec design. Every July, on the Saturday nearest the anniversary of his crash (second Saturday in July) at 1:00 p.m. he is honored at the monument site by members of the American Legion Mount Holly Post 11 accompanied by an entourage from the Mexican consulates in New York City and Philadelphia.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    For newbies to Batona Camp, you should check out Carranza Memorial, just 100 ft. from the entrance to Batona Camp. Here's a quick blurb:

The Carranza Memorial in Tabernacle marks the spot where Captain Emilio Carranza Rodríguez was killed while returning from a historic goodwill flight from Mexico City to the United States. Carranza became a national hero when, in the summer of 1928, he was selected to undertake a goodwill flight from Mexico City to New York City in response to the previous year's flight from New York City to Mexico City undertaken by American aviator Charles Lindbergh.

Carranza began his American visit by landing in Washington, D.C. on June 12 where he was congratulated by President Calvin Coolidge. He then flew to New York City and was honored by the city’s mayor. Carranza departed New York on July 12. Shortly after taking off, he encountered thunderstorms while flying over the NJ Pinelands. His plane, named the Excelsior, came apart and he crashed into the woods. His body was recovered the next day.

A 12-foot monument in Wharton State Forest marks the site of his crash. WikiMiniAtlas

The monument, installed with funds donated by Mexican schoolchildren, depicts a falling eagle of Aztec design. Every July, on the Saturday nearest the anniversary of his crash (second Saturday in July) at 1:00 p.m. he is honored at the monument site by members of the American Legion Mount Holly Post 11 accompanied by an entourage from the Mexican consulates in New York City and Philadelphia.

Wow, bored over there Old man? No squirrels to keep you busy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Batona Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle Susp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiguyver View Post
    Well spiguyver welcome to New Jersey! Usually people move out on New Jersey not in! The Jersey Pine Barrens us a wonderful place to camp!
    Welcome !

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Hello I'm new to the forum. I'm also a new backpacker and hammock user.
    Y NOT= TONY SPELLED BACKWARDS

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Wow, bored over there Old man? No squirrels to keep you busy?
    Yo momma is my squirrel of choice. Ohmagod, is she squirrely!

Are you gonna bring your cornhole and throwing knives? Great entertainment for a one-eyed old man like me.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-08-2022 at 02:52.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Come on down!!!
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast