Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underquilt Suspension Decision

Hello everyone!

As I poked through the interwebs on the topic of underquilts, I came across this wonderful place called hammockforums and as a noob, I seek wisdom.

I have decided to do a DIY hammock UQ primarily because of cost savings (seems to be a common DIY theme), and I am having trouble deciding which suspension method to use. I've read up on the clew suspension... seems like a good idea. I was going to stick with that until recently, as I thought about it more, the common shock-cord-across-the-edges with synch cords at either end sounded more appealing. But alas, no decision. I would love to hear some advantages/disadvantages of each so I can compare and contrast! Also, the lower the weight, the better but I am willing to sacrifice if one is significantly easier to use, forms better around body, less drafts, etc.
    Thanks!!

Additionally, I ordered the 1/16" shock cord (originally for the clew) but I'm curious if it would be too thin for the shock-corded edges method if I decide to switch...

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Not sure, I think my UQ suspension is 1/8
    Check with cottage vendors, use same gauge they use.
    If shock cord is too stretchy, then it can’t do it’s job

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Most of the shock cord for the edges is 3/32 or 1/8 (they recommend it for under 20F temps).

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Most of the shock cord for the edges is 3/32 or 1/8 (they recommend it for under 20F temps).
    I'm using the catsplat calculator with the specs I want, the UQ weight is around 13oz (30F temp). You think that would be too heavy and stretch out the cord?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    IMO if you have a GE hammock then using the side and end shock cord suspension is fine (although IMO the Clew suspension is better). However, if you are using a bridge hammock, then the Clew Suspension really shines, you still want the side and end shock cords, but the clews really make the whole thing work so much better.
    Weight of shock cord really depends on the UQ you are suspending, above 32F 3/32" is fine, below that temp the UQ is getting heavy enough that 1/8" is advisable. For the clew suspension, 1/16" is pretty much all you will ever use, typically, there will be ~10 clews, with 2 strands of shock cord each .... at each end, so that it doen't take much stretch to create a lot of lift/pull with that tiny shock cord.

Brian

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Dunno, I don't DIY...but I doubt it. My HG Phoenix weighs around that and uses 3/32". See here: https://hammockgear.com/25-feet-of-shock-cord/

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Clew suspension is more work initially and a bit heavier (though you can use thinner shock cord as each length is going less work, and/or substitute part of the lengths with 1.75mm zing-it/lash-it to save weight) but it is absolutely fool and fiddle proof; no gaps, no voids. Nothing but toasty warm bum-meat. Depending on the size of the quilt, you might need as few as 6 or 7 (single-strand) nettles at each end. I personally don't have tangling problems.
    I now have clews on both my heavy indoor wool under quilts and my down camping UQ. I'll never go back.
    Corvis natum est.

Did you use zing-it/lash-it for your under quilt clews? if so, how'd you attach them to your quilt?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Edit: Reading comprehension failure. I thought you asked about attaching zing-it to shock cord. My suggestion was to use zing-it for part of the length of the nettles. You still would need some shock cord in each length. Trying to do it just in zing-it would result in either a loose hanging quilt or a tear-out the moment you lay down.
    The shock cord on my hiking UQ is retrofitted, so I just used my soldering iron to burn 7 small holes (to avoid fraying) through the ripstop channel in each end of the quilt and tied the nettle ends around the shock cord in the channel (that was there from the traditional method). It was a quick and dirty conversion but it works well. I did this after seeing how well my indoor hammock UQ clew suspension was working.

Original answer dealing with attaching shock cord to zing-it:
    I haven't done it so far, but on my next UQ I'm going to try it. I'm thinking it might be possible to bury the end of the shock cord in the end of the dyneema and then whip it with something like macrame thread or just thick sewing thread. That's my idea for a neat version, but a knot would do the job. (sheet bend? Maybe a double figure-8?).
    My hiking down UQ has I think 7 x 2mm shock cord nettles at each end. It's 3/4 length and weighs 790g.
    Last edited by Caconym; 07-27-2022 at 03:30.
    Corvis natum est.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast