Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Typically I like to use a clew on each length wise baffle on an underquilt. That usually means ~10 sets and using 1/16" cord provides lots of "pull/stretch power" suitable for almost any UQ. You just adjust how much stretch you incorporate to vary the amount of tension on the UQ... I loop the shock cord back and forth so that it is a single length to form the suspension. Each clew is formed using 2 strands of 1/16" shock cord (one going, one coming) and this arrangement will give about .25 pounds @ 15% stretch ... or for this example 10 x .25 = 2.5 pounds per end or 5 pounds total stretch pounds considering both ends.
    That is actually about all you need to hang most quilts ... if you want a bit more tension, use 20% stretch for ~.28 pounds or 25% for ~.3 pounds, you get the idea.
    Although zing it is lighter , it really isn't suited to the job (IMO) and it is only 15% (or so) lighter , which when you work it all out really doesn't result in much saving , given the cost and work involved to add it.
    Typically, my entire bridge hammock clew suspension weighs about 1.5 oz for each side or a total of ~3 oz for a 10 nettle, 36" wide suspension using 1/16" shockcord (2 per strands nettle) ... so there really isn't that much room to save weight.

Brian

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Hmm. According to Dutch's site, 25' of 1/16 shock cord is 16g, and the same length of 1.75mm zing-it is 13g. I think you're right that the weight saving would be miniscule. I'm just so used to thinking of shock cord as heavy.
    It really doesn't take much of it to suspend a down UQ, even with clews.
    Corvis natum est.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12