Gathering the gathered end

I own hammocks from several (but not all!) of the better-known vendors here. In some cases, the Cls are threaded through the end channel. Others have the Cl placed behind the gather. If making a hammock, are there any reasons to favor one technique over the other?

Secondly, what thoughts are there on how to best gather the end if the CL is not run through the end channel?

I'm sure I'm going to get a variety of opinions but that's exactly the purpose of asking!
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-23-2022 at 11:37.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I don't DIY, but I assume by "behind the gather" is like how WB has the gathered end balled up, with the CL attached before the balled end?

I would guess the WB way requires less stitching vs. the end channel method, since those channels would be weight bearing and require the extra reinforcement.

This is probably why the ridgeline for WB hammocks is thicker (I assume it's Amsteel vs Zing-it ) than I notice on my DW hammocks (dunno about other brands): all CLs are passed through the looped ends of the ridgeline, but for the WB hammocks the ridgeline helps handle the load whereas the end channel stitches are doing the work?

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post

This is probably why the ridgeline for WB hammocks is thicker (I assume it's Amsteel vs Zing-it) than I notice on my DW hammocks (dunno about other brands): all CLs are passed through the looped ends of the ridgeline, but for the WB hammocks the ridgeline helps handle the load whereas the end channel stitches are doing the work?
    I always assumed that the heavier WB ridgeline was basically "better safe than sorry!" Generally, it's probably not a good idea to put much load at all on a ridgeline, but that heavier cordage can prevent a catastrophic failure if the hang angle is way too shallow.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've always used a continuous loop through the end-channel - it's the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) method. Works every time.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Gathering the gathered end

On one of my hammocks, I passed some amsteel through the end channel (where a continuous loop would ordinarily be. Then I completed the circle with a locked Brummell, but first cinched it tight—this made a kind of gathered ball on end of hammock.
    After the locked Brummell, I spliced one end of amsteel into the other end. Then I trimmed amsteel down to an inch tail after locked Brummell.
    Then I gave the amsteel loop a spin to hide it in hammock end channel—gathered ball

My amsteel suspension is larks headed around hammock next to gathered ball

Sometimes I make “off the wall” hammock suspensions—just for fun and because I can

That amsteel suspension that is larks headed around hammock fabric is highly unlikely to slip off end of hammock. There is almost no stress on hammock end channel stitching. The amsteel cinch loop inside of gathered ball, probably won’t break or come loose—there is almost no stress on that amsteel cinch loop inside gathered ball end channel.

The amsteel suspension that is larks headed around hammock fabric does not slide up snug to gathered ball—it grips hammock fabric without fail and without slipping

So I figure that I’m hanging on amsteel suspension and entire cross section of hammock fabric—NOT some thread used to stitch end channel.

But it’s all in fun
    And until there is a rash of hammock end channels failing (there ain’t, they work great) then I’ve wasted my time——except to have fun!

I agree with you SilvrSurfr, KISS Keep it simple stupid
    Your continuous loop passed through end channel and fastened with a larks head is simple and effective—That is, it works, and is used by many hammock campers. I’ve not read of any end channel stitching failures at all!
    If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.

I still like to say to myself—What if
    And try new ways.
    Probably for every 10000 new ideas, 9999 of those ideas fail for one reason or another
    It’s still fun, for me, to play with new ideas for my hammock. And if I fail, it’s back to the drawing board
    Kinda like Coyote and The RoadRunner.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 07-23-2022 at 21:20.

Phantom,

It just seems to use Amsteel to do that initial gather/cinch is overkill. As it is the larks headed piece that is bearing the load, that cordage through the channel could be just about anything, even a zip tie.

You did however provide one answer for accomplishing the gather.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I've pondered the "stitching vs fabric" issue too. I can put a loop in the end channel so if I hang off just that, I'm relying on the channel's triple stitch. I recall hearing/reading that the triple stitch is stronger than the fabric. Maybe so; maybe not.

Mostly I larks head the loop in the channel, then continue with one or two half hitches behind the knob, "grabbing" the fabric so it, not the channel stitches, is holding the load. At that time I can come off those hitches over the top of the knob (creating more of a top/bottom to the hammock orientation) or feed it back through the center of the knob - adding a bit more symmetry to the setup.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts