Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension

Last minute Central Illinois trip July 22 to 24

I know this is last minute, but I really wanted to go out backpacking and haven't had the chance lately. So I reserved a campsite at Weldon Springs outside of Clinton for July 22 and 23. If someone wanted to join me I'd be open to a fellow hammocker for company.
    Nothing planned, just camping for a few days.

You can call or text me at 847-345-3818 for info.

Don

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension

Some Lessons that I have Re-Learned

Hello everyone, well I've now taken 3 trips re-honing in my gear since it had been a minute from my last backpacking adventure. Here are some observations from an experienced hanger. Water management is tough when you go to a location that doesn't have any water available. Water was available but I limited myself to what I brought in just to work towards being able to adequately predict what I'll need on a future trip in the mountains of Tennessee. My first trip which was a warm two night trip had me retreating for the extra water I brought and left in my car. It was a lot warmer than predicted.
    The second trip I ended up bringing way too much water for a one night stay due to the trip prior. Then last Friday night I went again, just a one night excursion and brought just over 1 liter of water which was perfect for a 24 hour mildish temperature trip.

Point #2 picking the right trees is an art form that we undervalue as experienced hikers. I camp at a lot of places that I've already camped before so this last trip I went somewhere very new, I quickly remembered that searching for the perfect hang can be daunting at night. One of the trees I picked was just a little too small for me and I had switch off to a tree that had some poison ivy vines... Thankfully I was lucky so far to not get it on me, but I was reminded by my father that those poison ivy leaves can drip onto you as well. The reason this came up was because I went tarpless over night...

Point #3 Remembering to not pack your fears, along with water I usually over pack a few items and I can easily cut out some weight and bulk by not worrying so much about possibilities and only packing what I actually need. For instance I brought 3 lighters, 6 pack of batteries, a hoodie, and some other items that I could have definitely gone without.

Point #4 Continue to file a trip plan because one of the nights during a storm a large tree fell close by. That could have been really bad had no-one knew where I was camping.

I hope this helps someone, and I'll try to post ahead of time before I go out again.

Have a great hang!!
    Don20220827_103717.jpg20220827_103717.jpg20220827_103717.jpg

• + New Posts