Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla Fort
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Reading this thread (and being from CT), just a few items for thought. Unfortunately asking once at the park and 'moving on' isn't really an option, unless you going to return home. CT has so few campgrounds vs the numbers that are now camping that reservations are usually made months in advance just to camp outside.

Regarding hanging hammocks, I had not heard that State forests specially excluded hammocks. What I did find with recent research is the wire and rope is not permitted (including for hanging of hammocks), so perhaps asking about hanging with straps might work. Although I agree Cougermeat that the ranger may find it easier to say now, rather than look at the details of the writing.

Here is the quote from the CT General Camping Info site:
    The injuring, removal or destruction of any animal or plant material is prohibited. Nails, knives, or other foreign objects may not be driven into trees or park structures, nor may wire or rope be fastened to trees for any purpose including any type of hammock. Sites, including firepits, must be cleaned before departure and picnic tables should be in their original location.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    That would be a bummer if you can't even use hammocks in CT State Forests, I had hoped to do some backpacking in the Pachaug forest at some point.

I hammock camped at Selden Neck and only found out after that apparently this was illegal, which was shocking to me. I used 2" tree straps and didn't damage a thing. The total ban makes no sense to me and is very frustrating, as a hammock camper living in CT.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    My hammock when not connected to any park structure other than stakes in the ground is an elevated tent. With the rainfly on it would be hard to argue that.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rmancare View Post

Here is the quote from the CT General Camping Info site:

The injuring, removal or destruction of any animal or plant material is prohibited. Nails, knives, or other foreign objects may not be driven into trees or park structures, nor may wire or rope be fastened to trees for any purpose including any type of hammock. Sites, including firepits, must be cleaned before departure and picnic tables should be in their original location.
    Not sure how others might read this, but the wording is clearly focused on the preservation of plants, animals, and existing structures. I'm not reading this as an outright ban on hammocks. Rather it bans wires and rope and presumably anything else that might damage trees. Most of us are already sensitive to tree damage which is why we use straps and not wire and rope and why we don't screw eye bolts into trees to hang from. However, I can see how park rangers who are less educated about hammocks may interpret this guidance differently. I agree with peeeeetey. It's always a good idea to ask when you can. The enlightened ones generally will understand and won't have any problems with your hang. You might have a chance to enlighten the unenlightened, but there will always be those who interpret guidance as law and have such a rigidity of thought that nothing will sway them from their blind enforcement of their understanding of a poorly wording constraint. In those situations, perhaps it's best to sway somehow or somewhere else.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

I haven’t camped in CT state parks recently but did so regularly before the pandemic. A few times it was in a hammock and I did not have a problem, but I brought a tent just in case. Sometimes I set up a decoy tent and set the hammocks ck up back always out of sight. I really think you can’t know in advance. The enforcement of the rules varies between parks and probably also based upon how visible you are and whether you are being a problem. I have seen people in Eno hammocks quite visibly and they were not made to take it down. I bet they are stricter in the super popular campgrounds by the beach. I copied the rules below from my reservation in 2012 for Devils Hopyard. I see that they did add hammocks since, but it also says wire or rope so maybe straps are ok? But I always cut down a couple left behind clothesline’s on each visit so people tie ropes to trees all the time and get away with it.

Alcohol is a good example. With the group I camped with alcohol was popular and only a few of the state parks allowed it. But some parks were known to be very tough with alcohol so we didn’t go to those. One time some people in our group were a little loud and the state police showed up, but when they saw we weren’t teenagers having a party they made people pour out what was left and said pick two people who are going to get tickets, you can all chip in a couple bucks to cover them, and we will leave you alone. Or We can kick you out and your wives can come get you. I have camped in state parks in Mass. that were dry (I think they all are in Mass.) and saw groups of college kids with cases of beer sitting on the picnic table. I don’t know how they got away with it but I suppose they would have had a problem if there was a complaint.

“Alcoholic Beverages: Beer in containers larger than one (1) liter is prohibited. The following campgrounds are alcohol free: Black Rock, Housatonic Meadows and Macedonia Brook. Please do not bring alcoholic beverages to these facilities.
    Camping Party: The campsite fee covers six (6) persons, including children. However, a camp registrant may occupy a campsite with all his/her children under 18 years old for the basic campsite fee regardless of the total number of family members. The names of your camping party must be submitted at check-in.
    Visitors are allowed to enter state campgrounds from 8:00 a.m. to sunset and may stay until 10:00 p.m. Daily parking rates apply. Designated parking areas must be used.
    - Camping equipment, including properly curtained station wagons and vans, is subject to the approval of the supervisor in charge. Trailers and RV's exceeding 35' in length are not permitted. All equipment must be removed from the campsite at the end of each stay.
    Campsites are to be kept in a neat, clean and sanitary condition. If you choose to move your picnic table, it must be returned to its original location before your departure. Dishwashing is prohibited at water taps, in lavatories and showers. Showers, toilets and drinking water are provided in most areas. The injuring, removal or destruction of any animal or plant material is prohibited. Nails, knives, or other foreign objects may not be driven into trees or park structures nor may wire or rope be fastened to trees for any purpose. Ice and firewood are sold at most camp offices.“
    Last edited by DrPhun; 07-28-2022 at 17:03.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I only camp on the Appalachian Trail when I'm in Connecticut - never heard anybody say that hammocks were illegal on the AT. Now campfires are almost always prohibited in CT.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

New Member LVI Bushcraft & Survival's Avatar
    Hammock
    Want a CLARK, but I have a DD
    Tarp
    British basha
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHendrick View Post
    Hi,
    I was just in CT and found they banned any tree attachments in State parks and forests. Can anyone confirm or comment on how to address this problem?
    I stayed in a state park in CT and set up my hammock. A park ranger came by and said I couldn’t do it, and I said for her to please show me in the park rules that hammocks are not allowed because I checked before going. We went to the ranger station and nobody could find it in writing, so they let me hammock camp that one night. It was my last time in a CT state park. I’m not giving my money to be dictated to that I cannot use a hammock when it is proven the trees don’t suffer from it.

New Member LVI Bushcraft & Survival's Avatar
    Hammock
    Want a CLARK, but I have a DD
    Tarp
    British basha
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I only camp on the Appalachian Trail when I'm in Connecticut - never heard anybody say that hammocks were illegal on the AT. Now campfires are almost always prohibited in CT.
    The AMC and others will tell you fires are prohibited in CT, but the reality is there is no law against fires in the wilderness in CT the last I checked.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LVI Bushcraft & Survival View Post
    The AMC and others will tell you fires are prohibited in CT, but the reality is there is no law against fires in the wilderness in CT the last I checked.
    From CT's government website:

The burning of wood in a campfire, bonfire, chiminea or other similar devices is prohibited if the burning is conducted so that it creates a nuisance for neighbors or it is in violation of any restrictions imposed on such burning by your local municipality. Campfires and/or bonfires are not defined by state statute or regulation; however, some towns have special requirements to conduct this type of burning and may require the homeowner to obtain a permit prior to having a campfire on his or her property. Special requirements may include: limiting the size of such fires; setback distances from structures and/or property lines; lot size; and requiring campfires and/or bonfires to be permitted. Please check with your local Open Burning Official, Fire Marshal or town hall for any restrictions or requirements.

But then there is this from the state's camping website: Fires are permitted in designated fireplaces. Ground fires are strictly prohibited at all State campgrounds. The use of camp stoves is encouraged.

Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast