HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Greetings from the Monterey Bay area CA

Hello everyone. I'm Rod. I just started getting into hammock backpacking and went through the rabbit hole of watching Shug videos and lurking through these forums.
    I mostly solo backpack at Henry W. Coe State Park and just came back from my first trip using the setup. It was a great learning experience and look forward to improving my system.

I just uploaded a quick video of the setup with a more detailed write up in the description. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN1r8txSJco

I'll probably lurk here mostly but it'd be down for meetups since solo backpacking is the only backpacking I know

-Rod

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Welcome to the community!

Charlotte

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Fantastic setup—that rig is strack!

When I was a kid, I’d watch cowboy shows on television that looked somewhat like your campsite backdrop.
    So, I figure you’re a cowboy!

Not everybody gets to camp in that iconic scenery.

Not sure, looks like I use a similar water filtration setup to yours. Now I use two Evernew bags, Sawyer water filter, all connected with a threaded blue coupler. This makes a closed system that won’t spill and is easy to gravity filter.
    Before connecting clean water Evernew bag to blue coupler, I flatten clean water bag. If connected with out squeezing out air—the flow is slow and stops.

I tie a zingit around full creek water bag at spout end, then a half hitch (half of a clove hitch, or marlin hitch) around middle of full bag and a final half hitch around near base of full bag. This whole interconnected unit is suspended in air from a tree.

Great rig, out west
    Thanks
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 07-20-2022 at 13:48.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Thanks!
    It was dry and hot. I really need to head somewhere cooler next time.
    Yeah the 2 Smart water bottles + 2L Cnoc bag is working well for me. So I can carry out 4L between sources if needed. I use that coupler as well but mainly to backwash the filter which was needed with that murky pond water.
    That's a nice idea with creating a gravity filter. I mostly try to balance the Smart water bottle awkwardly between my knees hah. I probably went through 9-10L while there.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Man, crunchy and dry out.

For a gravity filter, I just screw the Saywer directly to a 2L Evernew bag, unscrew the flip top cap, attach some 1/4" tubing to the nipple then run it into an empty water bottle. Extra Zing it + a small carabiner, I can hang it from the hammock suspension, ridgeline, tree, etc. Drawback is I have to babysit otherwise it will overflow/tip over (1L smartwater bottles).

Honestly though, I normally don't bring the tubing and just squeeze. It's just part of the deal...gotta walk the miles, gotta squeeze the water.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Yeah, I've been going over my gear every trip and trying to remove items I don't use or need. I'd be nice to go more ultralight but I'm getting up there in age and I'm finding it's a challenge to balance that fine line of comfort & pack weight.
    I used to have a Sawyer mini and the flow rate was really slow. So it's been a luxury lately with the Squeeze. It's not too tedious to filter when the flow rate is way better than what I used before.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

I had a Sawyer mini, and it was too slow and clogged easily.
    Switched to full size Sawyer water filter. It’s better.

Also after gravity filter directly from a 2 liter Evernew bag into an Evernew 2 liter clean water bag—I disconnect filter from creek water bag. While leaving filter attached to clean water bag. Then I squeeze the clean water bag three squirts—making a mini backflush of water filter each time a bag is filtered.
    After each camping trip, I backflush Sawyer filter at home.
    After back flushing, I use syringe to push most water out of filter. The filter might get dry while stored in tote. Before I go on next trip, I use syringe to push water through filter. I think this helps filter work better. I really don’t know.
    Just Phantom guess!

An inch long blue threaded coupler is used to connect both Evernew bags.
    CNOK water bags also connect with Sawyer filters and blue coupler.
    This makes a closed system—no spills—walk away and do something else—5 minutes later you have 2 liters of filtered water
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 07-24-2022 at 07:57.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    So I received comment on my video this morning.
    '"Do not attach or hang items from park structures or trees. Hammocks, swings, etc. must be free-standing and not hung from or attached to park buildings or trees."Source: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=28984'
    I've seen a number of videos of hangs at Henry Coe and even saw some threads here mentioning meet ups. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Seems to me those are the restrictions at Lake Perris. Were you in that park?

I did a quick peek at the Henry W. Coe State Park:

Even looking at the CA state parks main rules and regs page doesn't mention hammocks: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=21300

There's a section 4306 regarding plants and driftwood, but nothing explicit about hammocks are attaching anything to trees: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=21301

Nothing in the park specific rules page either: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30207

Appears to be a park by park thing.

• + New Posts