Fronkey style net = UQ compression

In my attempt to use a more modular system this year, I acquired DutchÂ’s Fronkey style bug net to use with a netless 11Â’ hammock. I love the idea of this system but ran into a major problem when tightening up the bug net. When cinched down, the net tightens up on my UQ and compresses the down leaving cold spots. Am I missing something here? Maybe I am tightening down too hard but I want to make sure to seal skeeters out. I realize I could put the UQ on the outside of the netting but then it seems like I would lose a main benefit of the system; the ability to reach down to the UQ to adjust it. Any thoughts or help with the system would be greatly appreciated! (Side note: does anyone sell a Fronkey style net that hangs loose below the bottom of hammock/UQ?)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Mainer, If you put the UQ outside the Fronkey net, you may find it more awkward getting out in the middle of the night if you are so urged to do so.

Search on Fronkey for posts. I think the consensus is, that mosquitoes aren't that smart. You don't have to cinch the net down. Just a gentle snug against the UQ would be enough. I might have read that some hardly even tighten it because, with the natural curve of the hammock bottom, there's a lot of contact with the UQ. The mosquitoes would have to call on their own SEAL Team Six to make their way in.

I see you are in Maine. If you were in Alaska that would be different. I hear there, the mosquitoes just pick you and the hammock up and fly away with it.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been using a Fronkey bug net for about 10 years and have never, ever tightened it. It just hangs loose. Mosquitoes attack full frontal - they are not smart enough to fly down, then up to get a meal.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    I agree I never cinch the bottom the only bug issues are the ones that enter with me and having the bugnet treated takes care of those.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE RidgeCreek xl
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    I only cinch the bottom if I am not using any insulation. I find that even if it looks open with an underquilt, as soon as I lay down it seals itself. Mosquitos are pretty dumb anyways, it's the spiders that find any little openings Do you treat the net with permethrin?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I recall ONCE asking a friend to volunteer to try a Fronkey. There were bees about. I don't think they came in from below. I think they snuck in from a gap in the Velcro on the suspension line. Nothing like being inside a net with bees to liven your day.

These days, my hammocks have built-in nets or I use a HUG (usually a day hike item - just in case). I have several full coverage zip-on bug nets. I'll have to sell them or mate them to some netless hammocks as a Kit for loaning out.

I'm guessing that if you treat your Fonkey with permethrin, all you have to do is lay it beside your hammock and the seekers will be gone.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaPoltergeist View Post
    Do you treat the net with permethrin?
    yes I hang the net and try to give it a good soaking every spring with a .5 % (sawyers) solution

https://www.rei.com/product/768970/s...3816_b29d0315d

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've been using a Fronkey bug net for about 10 years and have never, ever tightened it. It just hangs loose. Mosquitoes attack full frontal - they are not smart enough to fly down, then up to get a meal.
    Oh man! I never even thought of this, I just assumed they would work their way in from below. I guess I should know what happens when I assume… I will try this out!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Yep. You should be just fine without tightening. If, when you're in the hammock are worried about a gap, just tighten it to where it's close - but I don't worry about that either. So far, thru many Southeast nights, I've had no issues.

• + New Posts