Tried to make a therma-rest work with my DD Frontline XL.... Nope. Underquilt is a necessity. I converted to down bags many moons ago and the thought of a synthetic or even COTTON filled UC is making me feel.... dirty. But forking out $$$$$ for a proper down UC also makes me feel.....cheap

We have a consignment outdoor shop in my small town and in the back I found an old down filled bag dating back to 1969!!!! The stories (I hope) it can tell. Well the lady at the till said its been there FOREVER and for $25 I can have it. For the tag alone its worth the $25 IMHO.
IMG_6306.jpgIMG_6303.jpg

Well ALL of the down was sitting at the very bottom of the bag (it was hung vertical) so after a good wash and three rounds of tennis in the drier bouncing around I managed to get some pretty impressive loft. Allot of shaking and massaging filled the baffles back up. I little bit of sewing to seal off the baffles once I even the fill out I can start to make a UC.

This will be my first UC (I am new to hanging) so I am thinking of shock cord down the sides in sleeves (so I can pull it up and down the hammock as needed) and maybe a draw string/cinch at the head and foot to pull it tight? I will have to search for some photos (there HAS to be thousands on this forum).

Wanted to share what I think is a good find (especially for the price) and document some of the build. If anyone has any tips or hints I am all ears. Have sewing machine and not afraid to use it!