Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I've seen hammocks made from Monolite 1.0, all around. I mean, it would be a tad heavier than the bugnet with .5oz/yd (and there's not an icecube's chance in the hot place I'd trust it on a multi-day hike) but I thought it was sort of a cool concept.

Speaking of ultralight hammocks.

Anyhoo. As you were.
    Q: Does it get any better than kayak camping?

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Definitely, when doing anything more than a 1- or 2-nighter with easy bailout where failure is not an option, something in the 1.6-1.7osy range would be my choice.

How did you deal with the 1.2 Mtn failure? Backup air or CCF mat?
    Character building night. There was a big storm, so I ate dinner sitting sideways in the hammock, then dropped the cheese, reached back to get it, and fell back in the bugnet like an upside down turtle. It was up in NY with bear problems so I was nervous enough about eating in the hammock. Slow descent to near ground as the fabric ripped. There was a pool of water underneath me, as I usually picked bad tenting sites to save the better ones for tenters. I had to stow the hammock etc in my bag, move the tarp to a dry spot, then do a ground hammock setup, all during a thunderstorm. I had a torso length uberlite from my tenting days. At least I know I can do that now. Experience is a good teacher. No fault of the Darien, it is a fine hammock.

My ultralight setup is as follows:

Blue/Black: Dutchware 1.0 Hexon Half-wit w/ MyersTech Evo Loops (418g) hanging from 15' Dutchware Spider/Poly Straps w/ sewn Dutch Clip tied w/ beckett hitch (180g), staked down with Amazon titanium shepherds crooks (6g × 2), under a Dutchware Xenon Sil 1.1 Tarp w/ Dutchware Dutch hook, Wasp & Tarpworms (289g) staked down with Amazon titanium shepherds crooks (6g ×4).

Total weight without tarp: 1lb 5.5oz
    Total weight with tarp: 2lb .5oz

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Character building night. There was a big storm, so I ate dinner sitting sideways in the hammock, then dropped the cheese, reached back to get it, and fell back in the bugnet like an upside down turtle. It was up in NY with bear problems so I was nervous enough about eating in the hammock. Slow descent to near ground as the fabric ripped. There was a pool of water underneath me, as I usually picked bad tenting sites to save the better ones for tenters. I had to stow the hammock etc in my bag, move the tarp to a dry spot, then do a ground hammock setup, all during a thunderstorm. I had a torso length uberlite from my tenting days. At least I know I can do that now. Experience is a good teacher. No fault of the Darien, it is a fine hammock.
    That's tough. If you can survive an experience like that and still want more, you're doing something right! Glad you had the air mat.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    hanging from 15' Dutchware Spider/Poly Straps w/ sewn Dutch Clip tied w/ beckett hitch (180g)

Those are some pretty heavy straps.
    (maybe check the weight on those?)

And welcome to HF from downstate New York!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12