Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images

Thread requirements

I haven't seen any posts about thread requirements for DYI projects like Hammocks, straps and Tarps I just completed an 11foot hammock using 1.8 oz AirWave and realized that i didnt give the thread (or stitching ) that much thought.. In my case its not to late to add a heavier seam but was curious as to what others are doing for their projects.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I like the Gutermann's upholstery threads: Tera 40 for straps and suspension elements (with a size 18 needle), Tera 60 for hammock fabrics (14 needle), Tera 80 for quilts (11 or 14 needle). There are other good choices, too. Mara is nice.

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    Wow, Thank you for the quick response and for validating my concern. I am using a Gutermann Polyester Thread "CA02776" though it appears to be a General purpose lightweight thread. So it looks like a trip out to get something heavier and as I said its still easy enough to run the hammock through the machine again.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Interestingly, this was something that I recall being talked about a lot more a decade ago when I first joined the forums and dabbled in DIY.

IIRC, I wouldn't worry as much (note, not saying don't worry at all) about thread weight/strength assuming you're not just running a single stitch line for your end channels, properly box stitching your straps, etc. Somewhat more important is avoiding cotton thread, since it holds water and can mold.

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    Yes I've been using All polyester thread. Though after looking at my stitches i've got no business touching a sewing machine. I now have 5 rows 3 light weight and 2 heavy duty on my end channels. Pretty confident it'll hold

Just need to stitch together a bugnet and I'm done

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I agree with silentorpheus (no sunrise?) that you shouldn't have problems with channels on a GE hammock. The only two times I've seen thread break have been in places where I should have expected more stress. One was on my first winter insulated hammock which had longitudinal tubes in the bed, with sewn in baffles. The bed fabric was Supplex nylon, certainly much stronger than required for my 150 lbs, and the thread was (I think) Gutermann polyester - maybe Mara, perhaps Tera 60. The fabric stretched lengthwise enough that some of the baffle threads broke. It didn't affect the hammock strength or the down distribution to have a few baffles under my butt come loose. The other time I had used Tera 80 along the edge of a bridge hammock, but not at the corners and center ridge angle, which I sewed properly with several seams of Tera 40. At one of the places where the edge sewing changed from Tera 80 to Tera 40, the Tera 80 threads had started to snap. Beware of abrupt transitions from weak to strong. That's true of fabrics and cordage, too (e.g. - tapering amsteel splices). I resewed the hammock edges with Tera 60, and it has held ever since.

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    Thanks WV that's reassuring. I've been in and out of the AirWave hammock several times now while trying to fiddle with the Tensa 4 stand and it seems to be holding well.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I use Tera 80 for most everything, and Tera 60 when I have heavier wear or load bearing applications; I've never had anything even close to failure. It's easy enough to add a box that I stick with the 60 rather than the 40, although I concede that does bring up the weight limit considerably for the same inches of stitching.

One note about poly thread is with enough sewing, it will wear on your tension discs over time. I mean, you'd have to put a lot of mileage on your machine but it is a consideration if you're doing a lot of stuff.
    Q: Does it get any better than kayak camping?

• + New Posts