NJ > Backpacking suggestions

Hi. I’m looking for quick trips, possible single overnights that i can do in NJ. I did some googling but mostly finding car camping sites. Any suggestions welcome.

happy day.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Sections of the AT are a good option. Plenty of road crossings for pick-up/drop-offs (Maybe possible Uber options(Uber works great for the Maryland section of the AT). The Pine Barrens have some options along the Batona Trail.

If you hop over the border into PA the Pinchot Trail is a great option.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Where in NJ do you live? Some good destinations might be fairly close by in PA or NY.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Im in the north/central part of nj. About 40 min west of newark. I’ll have to look into the pine barrens. I jsut went to the catskills last weekend. Quite nice but i rented a site. Good for the kids that i brought but would really prefer a trail. It’s very odd to me to rent a site. But I haven’t been camping for a couple decades and don’t know if things have changed.

(As illustration, i just dusted off my dana design backpack )

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    One of my favorite places to go is Round Valley. It’s about a 4 mile hike in around the reservoir. The cost of the sites are not bad.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    One of my favorite places to go is Round Valley. It’s about a 4 mile hike in around the reservoir. The cost of the sites are not bad.
    I went to Round Valley once - never again. The police came and hassled our neighbors for an hour, resulting in several hundred dollars in fines. Then they came to our site, and insisted they knew we were doing something illegal. They stayed for 45 minutes just hassling the heck out of us before finally giving up.

And don't get me started on Round Valley Reservoir - an engineering nightmare. They picked the worst place in the world to put an artificial lake. Twenty-something people have died there - their bodies never recovered. The winds can pop up in a second, and once they get over 20 miles an hour, the authorities set off these bizarre strobe lights warning you to get off the water immediately or be fined. It's twilight zone stuff.

Seriously, who ever heard of a lake with strobe lights warning you you're gonna die or be fined? I think it must be the only lake like it in the USA.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-13-2022 at 20:56.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I went to Round Valley once - never again. The police came and hassled our neighbors for an hour, resulting in several hundred dollars in fines. Then they came to our site, and insisted they knew we were doing something illegal. They stayed for 45 minutes just hassling the heck out of us before finally giving up.

And don't get me started on Round Valley Reservoir - an engineering nightmare. They picked the worst place in the world to put an artificial lake. Twenty-something people have died there - their bodies never recovered. The winds can pop up in a second, and once they get over 20 miles an hour, the authorities set off these bizarre strobe lights warning you to get off the water immediately or be fined. It's twilight zone stuff.

Seriously, who ever heard of a lake with strobe lights warning you you're gonna die or be fined? I think it must be the only lake like it in the USA.
    Round Valley was to be Newark,NJ’s reservoir and NOT a recreational park.

Only 6 bodies still unaccounted for I hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The A.T. Over in PA is close and a great backpack. Park at Wind Gap and head in either direction. Rte. 78 to Rte. 33.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks
    I canoed across the reservoir to a paddle in site last year, and it’s a NEVER AGAIN spot for me as well. I had a group of about 10 obnoxious college aged students who were loud, drinking, and the worst part, starting up a gas chain saw every 20 minutes or so cutting down trees and bucking them up. In a State Forest! I kind of wish the cops had come.

As far as places to camp for free in NJ, are you looking to pound out miles backpacking, or just find a quiet spot down a short trail to set up camp? Harriman SP in NY, Worthington State Park in the Kittatinny Mtns (near Delaware Water Gap) can be backpacked. But the Catskills if you are willing to drive a little further, and the Adirondack high peaks, if you are willing to drive further and spend more than 1 night are a much better experience imo. Btw - if you want info on primitive sites that are first come first serve, and drive-up in the Catskills or a short hike in, send me a private message and I can give you detailed info.

• + New Posts