Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

21 Miles to the Lake

A return to Harriman State Park where I hike 21 miles over the course of 1 day and make camp at a beautiful lake for the night. This is a longer video then usual and I do go over all the gear I carried and used for this trip. My pack weight starting was 8.4 lbs with food included for 2 days. I carried 2 liters of water, so that did add a tad more to the 8.4 lbs. I also slept in my bug bivy, which weighs mere ounces..and slept on my Uberlite pad. I used my Mountain Laurel Designs Vision quilt and carried it all in a Zpacks Subnero pack...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Another fun video Dirtbag. Looks like a fun trip & a cool spot you picked out for the night.

After a bunch of years tarp camping, I can't believe I never tried the bivy! I may have to give it a try one of these days. Cool too that you have Harriman right in your backyard! So easy & convenient to get in the woods for a quickie or multi-day trips.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE RidgeCreek xl
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Great video, what a nice area. While I do hate the bugs, hiking in the summer and begin able to jump in a lake or river is the best. I think this has inspired me call in sick on friday and go up north

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    @ Obdewlax..The bivy is interesting but honestly not the best for everyone. I actually love using my other bivies, the MLD Superlight or the MLD eVent Soul, or the Borah Gear Snowyside eVent way more then the bug bivy. I think they all have more room in them and usually when I use the other ones it is a little cooler outside and less bugs ( usually). So while I lay in the bug bivy to fall asleep, it is awesome to see the stars and moon and everything surrounding me, but at the same time it is a tad bit more confining. I do sleep well in it and once a fall asleep nothing really matters, and i can toss and turn just fine without any issues. I did fall asleep in my shorts and tank top, without the quilt on me as it was still warm out, but during the night the temperature dropped to mid to low 50s with a nice breeze, and I felt it.. so I just drapped the Vision quilt over me. Great night sleep and pleasure to wake up in the morning as the sun was rising.. though I did sleep in an extra hour untill about 6:40 am!! I love my sleep!!!

@Vanilla Poltergeist.. love the name!!! Hahaaa..ughhh the bugs suck!! Throughout the day I had to make friends with my little co-pilots since they were constantly buzzing in my ears and whacking me in my eyes!! Terrible for sure!! I just tried to keep moving but they hummed along with me. Not the entire 21 miles.. but enough that i was cussing and swinging!! Definitely bang out of work and get out there. I love taking Mondays off and heading out on Sunday.. it seems most people are leaving on Sunday and Sunday nights are all mine with Monday being desolate also!! Doesnt matter when, just get out there and do what you love!!!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    20220710_200814.jpg
    20220710_200833.jpg
    20220710_202014.jpg

Some shots of the bug bivy and my views..

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yo Dirtbag wish I coulda joined you!

I don't know if my ankle would've held up for 21 miles, though... BUT, gotta find out some time!

Good breakdown of your kit.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thanks Bob. Missed you on this one yes. We will figure another one out soon!! Something we can work out.. even if its meeting up half-way..

• + New Posts