Thread: Hello all!

Hammock
    RSBTR 11 ft 1.9 oz nylon kit
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Rect
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Hello all!

Hi, I'm Sarah. When my partner and I decided we wanted to get into camping, instead of investing money in a tent setup, we decided to get hammocks based on my partner's love of them. I was hesitant but I'm mostly in agreement, now I just need to dial in our hangs. I did a ton of research, made our hammocks from kits from RipStopByTheRoll, got a tarp, double bug net, and spider/poly straps from Dutchwear. My partner slept like a baby the first night, I froze to death. Now I've got an Arrowhead underquilt on the way like I should have from the start.

I'm in Eastern Iowa around the Cedar Rapids area and I'd love to meet fellow hammockers so I could get some advice on how to make my hammock more comfy.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Strawberrilori, a hearty hi from Denton NC

Watch some of Shug’s YouTube videos. He has a ten part series (maybe 15 instructional videos now) covering hammocks tarps insulation suspensions.
    Shug’s videos are entertaining and highly informative. Well worth your time.

On Hammock Forums go to Forums-Outings-Hangouts-and your area Midwest. There are upcoming group hangs you can attend. There you will see first hand all kinds of hammocks, tarps, insulation rigged in every imaginable way.
    You can benefit greatly by going to two group hangs. Hammock campers there will gladly talk about their gear.
    Be ready to drink lots of coffee, and swap lies around campfire. You will meet good people er ah hammock campers!

Also you can private message people on the Forums
    And if they are nearby, you and your partner might be invited to go on a smaller group hang, with maybe half dozen hammock campers in your area.
    If there are no invites—ask if y’all can tag along.
    Impromptu small hangs are loads of fun.

If I got paid to tell lies
    It just wouldn’t be much fun

Aaaaaaaaiiiiiggght

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    When setting your under quilt. Pull quilt to front of hammock.
    Hammock and quilt will be side by side-parallel to one another.
    Tighten under quilt primary and secondary suspensions until bottom of under quilt is six inches higher than bottom of hammock along both their full lengths.
    You should see under quilt and you should see bottom of hammock 6 inches below bottom of under quilt along both their full lengths.

Then pull under quilt back under hammock so that hammock is inside of under quilt. Under quilt should be lifting hammock up somewhat.
    Then when you get in your hammock the primary and secondary under quilt suspensions will stretch to conform to shape of you hammock with you in it.

The under quilt should be up close touching your hammock, with no air gaps, when you are in your hammock.

There is a third adjustable cord that is short-going crossways across both short ends of your under quilt. Tighten a little, but not too much. Too much causes a horseshoe shape or hairpin shape on end of under quilt—this will cause an air gap—
    If there is an air gap (get someone to check) just loosen those short end cords a bit until air gap diminishes or goes away.

Shug explains all of the above in his video about under quilts.

Good luck!

Shug also has a video about solving Calf Ridge Pressure
    CRP happens!

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Hello Sarah

Phantom is correct as usual. I'm new too and I wished I had heeded advice from here prior to certain things. Happy hangin.

Hammock
    RSBTR 11 ft 1.9 oz nylon kit
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Rect
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thank you! I've watched quite a few of Shug's videos before I went out for the first time but I'll go through them again. I'm excited to get my underquilt.

Welcome aboard! Lots of useful discussions around

• + New Posts