WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Our fearless trip wrangler and his coffee.
    355C0627-DD7F-47DA-A38C-6791FD0F5D67.jpeg

Here was our Friday night group. No bears spotted and temps in the 70s - pretty sweet.
    CFCB7BDB-E0D8-4A51-A195-7303745283C1.jpeg

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Hg dcf 12 winter
    Insulation
    Cro 20 set
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Me and phatonm have just left the rock Decided to call it no bears in sight just ran out of my meds
    Not all those who wander are lost

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Photo of five honorary graduates of mountain running camp graduation run

TallPaul TomTom PappyAmos Chris “Fritz” Phantom

Phantom enjoying a spot of coffee

John Rock my favorite hang, with outstanding hammock bros

Thanks guys, I had a blast!

I lost the trail at Butter Gap a few times trying to do a sort of loop to John Rock and then back down before calling it a day. I wound up slab climbing some spur of Cedar Mountain which was pretty stupid given I was wearing very stiff boots, but entertaining at the same time. When I eventually wound up at the summit of Cedar Mountain, I can't help but think this is a much better view than John Rock offers, especially if it was visited in the fall or winter. I saw my old friend Pilot mountain and the High Country off in the distance from this viewpoint, it was quite the reflection from when I did the Art Loeb trail a few years ago. I was exhausted by the time I met back up with Cat-Gap loop, but as I neared the yellow blazes of John Rock I figured it wouldn't be John Rock Hang, or in my case, camp, without actually visiting John Rock.. so I pressed on upward and spent a pleasant evening at John Rock before returning to the Enchanted Forest, tearing down as the thunder was rumbling in the distance, and then heading home. Thanks for Phantom, Tom_Tom,Papi, and TallPaul for showing up, the time went by effortlessly.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Fritz, I’m glad you made it back, and got to see some great views.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    While a much smaller group than previous years, got a chance to talk to everyone. Although I've seen Chris at Yates, I never got to know him before. A pleasure! Having TallPaul pop out of the woods was a pleasant surprise. TomTom and the Phantom (Mr. Coffee) had lots of tales to tell. The bears were off bothering someone else.
    The Friday forecast for Brevard was for ~89/69. In the enchanted forest it was more like 83/61. Very comfortable.
    Missed seeing Gunner76 and his flip-flops though.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Glad you guys had a good trip.
    And no bear!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    It was great seeing y’all and catching up.
    Fritz your hike sounds like an adventure.

TallPaul, it really was. I hiked Butter Gap trail to Butter Gap Shelter, stopping at Gorgon Falls along the way and shorty after that came across a downed tree along the path. I thought nothing of it and attempted to just bushwhack over it, but then as I got within a meter of the thing I started hearing buzzing all around. I've never encountered a hornet's nest, but low and behold there was one attached to the downed tree right where I was passing. I quickly backed off, fortunate to not get stung and then I waited there a good twenty minutes because the trail there was tight and the bushwhacking was null point. I eventually made my way past them and then connected with the art loeb trail which I was familiar with. I eventually wound up at Butter Gap Shelter where some boy/girl scouts had cultivated these roman city mud structures next to the ware source, it was jolting at first, but then I started to look at them, mud, flower petals, and alI and they seemed really intricate in the roman sense. I snapped few pictures of them using my film camera and then hiked up what I thought was Butter Gap Trail, but they don't even sign the thing, much less blaze it once you hit the intersection. I hiked some off shoot of it, came across some campers that had made the same mistake as me, and they said that the rock face up the trial was impassable. Being I was lighter packed I ventured onward to see if perhaps I could climb this section without gear and perhaps meet up with with the intersection of where I was supposed to be, the whole point of the trip was to be on the balds of Cedar Mountain I wound up being able to side strafe the steeper accents and friction climb the rest with the help of the occasional Rhododendron to stabilize to get to the top section there. Once at the top though, I found that it was too dense to bushwhack over to the actual Cedar Mountain trail, so I decided to go back down and just backtrack and hike to the actual Cedar Mountain trial, which isn't much of a trail at all unless you're a rock climber or at least confident in your weight distribution haha. There are consistent sections there where you're climbing up granite with no blaze or guide. I fancy myself able to pickup trials pretty well, without guidance, but there is so many offshoots up there for rock climbing crews that it's easy to get lost, though it might be easier once the foliage dies away as the seasons change.

It wouldn't be too terrible a hike for future John Rock Hangs to hike out here if we go the opposite route that I went where you don't have to assent up Cedar Mountain. I would estimate it to be an all day event for most, taking an extended lunch break at the summit, and then hiking back to the Enchanted Forest, removing the Butter Gap Leg approaching from the Northern side.
    Last edited by fritzgrant; 07-24-2022 at 22:39.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Looks like a good trip gentlemen.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123