DD Hammocks frontline
    Tarp
    HG standard tarp
    Insulation
    HG down quilt
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers

Hanging distance

I set up last night in the woods where l normally ground camp. The best hang was with tree’s about 20ft apart.
    when in the hammock l was about 8” off the ground and it gently swaying. Set the tree huggers about 5’5” on the trees. I was using a HG tarp with doors which has a 12ft ridge and an Alton goods hammock 280x146cm. Am l getting this hammock and tarp hanging right ?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Lostsheep, your hang is right, as long as you are comfortably levitated in airy dream sleep.

Did you achieve perfect suggested 30 degree angle of hang? Probably not. But that is ok, since your rig did not fall to earth.
    You probably had less than 30* ideal hang angle.
    Your hammock suspension was probably at a flatter or more horizontal hang angle.
    Shug has some excellent videos on YouTube that show how to check hang angle and make adjustments of hang angle to approach 30* hang angle.
    Also PapaSmurf has an excellent video showing relationship between hammock hang angle and hammock ridgeline tension.

Hammock ridgeline tension and hammock hang angle are interrelated!

Derek Hansen’s book The Ultimate Hang has a hammock hang calculator. That has charts showing how much stresses are geometrically increased as hammock hang angle approaches a “flat” or horizontal hang angle.
    If hammock suspension is too flat, the stresses on hammock suspension can be multiples of your body weight! This can cause your hammock, or hammock suspension to break—dropping you to hard ground.
    In a worse case scenario you can cause your trees to crash onto your hammock with you in it.

Ideally your trees would yield a better hang angle if they were spaced 12 to 15 feet apart.
    With trees spaced 20 feet apart you can wrap your straps higher up your trees, by adjusting strap length so your hammock still is low enough to get in and out with ease, then your hang angle will be closer to 30* angle of hang.

A too flat hang angle can increase odds of catastrophic failure of hammock, hammock suspension or trees!
    Be safe, have fun!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Here's a link to the online hang calculator! https://theultimatehang.com/calculator/

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer this for some hanging insight.
    Have patience as all things hammock have a learning curve.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Have patience as all things hammock have a learning curve.
    What Shug isn't saying is how patient you really have to be when it comes to finding the sweet spot. I played around all afternoon changing everything I could, one little bit at a time, and by doing that I discovered the magic sweet spot for that setup after being frustrated and almost giving up. Then,... I bought another hammock and started the process all over again. Granted, I had learned a lot the first time so it accelerated finding the spot the second time, but patience is definitely required. Maybe I am just a slow learner.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Looks like your hammock probably does not have a ridgeline? That's really where the 30 degrees comes into play as that allows the sag of the hammock to be comfortably loose. You probably weren't able to get that angle due to the length of the tree space and likely had some calf ridge as a result. As PG suggested, if you're comfy and sleeping well, then it was perfect! But I assume not as that typically begets the question you've asked. You can add a ridgeline that will set the sag in place no matter what you have to do to hang in the space (mostly anyway) as I also find spacing to be hard to get right most of the time.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    What Shug isn't saying is how patient you really have to be when it comes to finding the sweet spot. I played around all afternoon changing everything I could, one little bit at a time, and by doing that I discovered the magic sweet spot for that setup after being frustrated and almost giving up. Then,... I bought another hammock and started the process all over again. Granted, I had learned a lot the first time so it accelerated finding the spot the second time, but patience is definitely required. Maybe I am just a slow learner.
    And then sometimes you just can't get it right in the field anyways.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Lostsheep, I see this is your first post - welcome to the forum. Others will describe various angles and distances and learning curves. I'll just mention the good news - once you get it right you don't have to rediscover it anew, each time.

It doesn't appear that your Alton goods hammock has a ridgeline. It's a cord that attaches to both ends of the hammock. As such, it limits their distance apart. So AFTER you've fiddled around with your hammock enough to say, "That amount of sag is just right for me." you can attach a ridgeline cord between the two ends of the hammock, and next time you set it up, you that ridgeline will let you know when the ends are the best distance apart for you.

That cord can either be made out of something strong - like Amsteel - that will handle some stress if your hang angle isn't perfect. Or it can be more like a long tape measurer and you'd detach one side after the hammock is set up so the cord doesn't hold any stress.

Do not use paracord. It's too stretchy.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I just like 15 feet no less than 13 because I have 12 foot tarps.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    yeap I feel the same way peeeeetey
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast