Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plywood hammock plans?

I just aquired several dozen 2'x4' plywood sheets 3/4 inch thick. I was thinking of sandwiching several layers together to make a super beam that would span 13 feet long and 6 feet high. This would similar to the wooden hammock stands that bend and laminate wood but my construction method and material will be different

Has anyone done this before? Can you offer some advice or post a link?

I don't think bending is a good choice, I would rather construct a beam where every seam is reinforced by another piece that bridges the seam.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Are you talking about this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMNLGK0...a-275148206143

If you I'd say you can do it with plywood cut to the curve and laminated together. Buildings have been built using this method, so why not a hammock stand?

The keys are that all the joints must be staggered. No joints can line up. I'd guess at least 18" between seams. It must be glued (screws are not structural, but bolts work). Without testing I'd guess a minimum of three layers of 3/4" plywood (maybe 4 layers) with a structural shape of 2 1/4" wide by 4" tall.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Plywood hammock plans?

Good luck on your project. After you finish--you will know a lot more about lamination, curving, bending and gluing than I do. Maybe someone who does this commercially can advise you in your project. Most of my projects (mainly knots and splices) don't work as I envisioned them to be. But that is no reason to give up--everything that humanity has today is the result of many trials-most of which end in failure--except now the designer knows what did not work.
    Good luck again and pix or it never happened!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think there is any way to dumb this down and make it more redneck to match my skills and personality?

I was thinking of cutting a bunch of V shaped strips out of the plywood so when the strips are overlapped, glued, and screwed, i'd end up with a beam.

I understand that the dimensions on the V will have to change as I go along the beam in order to approximate an eliptical shape.

I'm not a mathematical genius but I have access to a drafting package where I can draw an eliptical construction line, fit the pieces into the drawing, then steal all the dimensions and angles from the drawing.

The end result would be a beam with the cut edges on the top surfaces, so maybe fill and paint that edge with the full understanding that it will cracked and age over time.
    Last edited by Tyler883; 03-05-2017 at 08:27.

Images
    You'd be better off getting some solid lumber, and forget the whole bending concept. Keep it simple, what your talking about doing is complicated, time consuming, and most likely won't be strong enough to hold up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Yeah, I think you are right. I think I'll put some more storage shelves in my man cave. And, wait patiently for another opportunity to make the hammock stand. Boring, but it makes sense.

Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I'd also recommend using some solid wood if you have this alternative.

Images
    Phew- by the title I thought you wanted to make a hammock out of plywood!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You can never have too many storage shelves.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast