Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images

Banyan Bridge + Spindrift?

I'll be picking up my new Banyan Bridge from my stateside mailbox in a few weeks. In the meantime, I wondered if any of you who already have the Banyan know if there is a way to use one with a Warbonnet Spindrift. I know that Banyan can use a top cover (even a "Moonlight" top cover to completely close it up), but a Spindrift provides that same microclimate and eliminates the need for a UQP.

Can you slip the Banyan corner hardware through the openings in the Spindrift? Or leave all the hardware / spreader bars inside the Spindrift and just run the dogbones out the openings? Just curious to see if anyone has alredy monkeyed around with this combo.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Now that I've got a Banyan, I can answer my own question. And the answer is yes, but only if you remove the bugnet / top cover from the Banyan and leave it as a plain naked hammock. The corner hardware / dogbones can go through the Spindrift's slit openings on the corners (we are talking 2nd generation Spindrift here, not the 1st generation with the grommets).

Apropos of nothing, all my Ridgerunners / Spindrifts are gone because I like the Hexon 1.2 fabric I can get for the Banyan better than the WB fabrics. But honestly there is very little difference between the two, comfort-wise.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Outdoor Vitals
    Suspension
    Bettle Buckels
    Very interesting. I just ordered a Banyan and this could be a good option for my winter trips. Wondering if you have tested it in winter weather and your experience. What, if any under insulation are you running with it?

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyRock78 View Post
    Very interesting. I just ordered a Banyan and this could be a good option for my winter trips. Wondering if you have tested it in winter weather and your experience. What, if any under insulation are you running with it?
    I didn't actually put the Banyan inside the Spindrift, but just looked at the Banyan's construction and saw that it was doable. In the end I decided that having a winter top cover with the moonlight option from Dutch would make a smaller area to heat up and create the warmer micro climate for sub-freezing use. The Spindrift creates a much larger area for your body to heat up. Using the winter top cover plus an underquilt protector with the Banyan seems to accomplish the same task as having the huge floppy Spindrift would.

I run Loco Libre underquilts on the Banyan...they fit well.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Remember, the challenge in the winter is condensation. The larger internal area of the Spindrift might be a feature, not a bug. You are warm because of your quilts and the spindrift abates the convection heat loss. It does create a micro climate and too small an area is conducive to condensation. The challenge in the winter is allowing enough air flow to minimize condensation while blocking as much convection as possible. The two zipper openings, one on each side of the spindrift, are great for giving the needed flexibility in that area.

You wouldn't need the bug net in winter anyway. I have mine rolled up, tucked away, at the bottom of the RR. If i wanted to use it, the SpinDrift has to split rings at the top of each end - the bug net suspension shock-cord could attach there. I don't know how the Banyon's net is setup.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts