WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES

12th Annual Wisconsin Frozen Butt Hang - Jan 6-8 - Pearson WI

Join us for the 12th Annual Wisconsin Frozen Butt Hang!

FBH111.pngfbh 2.jpg3.jpgfbh4.jpgfbh 5.jpgfbh 6.jpgfbh7.jpgfbh 8.jpgfbh 9.jpgfbh10.jpgfbh11.jpgfbh12.jpg

This annual group hang is organized once again by Nickofthewoods of nowoutdoors.org

Ideal for snowshoes, igloos, big fires, ice fishing, ice sailing, bushcrafting, bacon cooking, and of course lollygagging!

In order to make this event easier to share with people who are not on HF or other social media, I created a free event on our website. Just buy a ticket at $0 and you'll get a link to the spreadsheet. You can add your name/trail name, any food you wish to bring for the group (optional), etc. The spread sheet will also have the most updated maps and weekend info should there be any changes.

PLEASE SIGN UP HERE

The Wisconsin Frozen Butt Hang is a moderate "pulk or toboggan towing" trip in deep snow country. We like to get out there and really put ourselves and our gear to the test! We've been lucky enough to have some of the coldest temperatures the Midwest has to offer!

Where: This year we will be back in Pearson WI Near Jack Lake and hiking in on the ice age trail. I will arrange to have a parking area plowed for us by Jack Lake (See Parking Map)

The Route: We will hike in 1.5 miles on the Ice Age Trail in Langlade County near Jack Lake. The parking lot on County J Rd. Pearson WI will be plowed for us and from there we can head south on the IAT past the western side of Jack Lake towards Game Lake. The Park is closed to the public so we have the entire area to ourselves. There could be stacked wood for us and we can also cut from the forest if need be. There are picnic tables (might be buried under the snow) and maybe even a grill grate like last year. Be sure to bring snowshoes or skis. Please see (The Hiking Map) for the snowshoe route from the parking area to the campsite.

This event has always been a celebration of the coldest weather we can hope for. That said, there are lots of opportunities for beginners to dial in there gear before the hang. You can contact us at [email protected] for more info on these beginner friendly trips here in WI before the FBH.

This event is not recommended for beginners with little to no experience camping in the cold. Please also leave your fur babies at home for this event.

Caution: Camping in sub freezing temperatures can be Extremely Dangerous and IS NOT the best time to try new gear for the first time (ex. stoves, tarps, boots, sleep system, etc). It is always a good idea to familiarize yourself with new equipment before taking it to the field. If you have any questions regarding your current gear or clothing, I would be happy to help.

Last edited by NickoftheWoods; 06-30-2022 at 21:04.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    Awesome. It's on my calendar! (Any other ~Chicago folks going?)

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    You bet I have it on my To-Do list. Last year was a blast.

Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    Nice! Winter will be here soon!

Hammock
    Juniper ultralight
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    Ethereal -20's
    This will be my 2nd frozen butt hang. Excited to see everyone again.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL UQ, WB Diamond
    Suspension
    Whoopie or BH
    Planning to make it back.

Hammock
    12' Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sil poly w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Hey ya'll! I would love to make it to this hang but I wont know if I can till it gets closer. Ive been a forum member for a long time and always wanted to do a group hang. So why not freeze the Frozen Butt!?!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ + Hammock Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie shard View Post
    Awesome. It's on my calendar! (Any other ~Chicago folks going?)
    I will be coming up from Chicago for my 2nd year!

Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    Cool --- are you the young gentleman that was on the far side of the encampment, close to Shug and that man with a beard (me)? If so, I was curious how your second night went -- did you have a warm sleep in the midst of the wind/blowing spindrift snow?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ + Hammock Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie shard View Post
    Cool --- are you the young gentleman that was on the far side of the encampment, close to Shug and that man with a beard (me)? If so, I was curious how your second night went -- did you have a warm sleep in the midst of the wind/blowing spindrift snow?
    Yes Brother! That was me. I believe we walked in together as well. The second night was awesome! I was double layered with both a 0 degree 850 fill UGQ and a 40 degree 950 fill Hammock Gear UQ with a UQ protector as well. I was feet from the barren frozen lake so I got a bunch of wind, but that just adds to excitement for me. When I woke up my thermometer said -3. I would say I was not super duper toasty warm, but I was warm! I slept very well, and loved getting gently rocked by the wind. I would say I was maxing out my gear though, don't think I could have gone below -10 with that set up.

I think this time I will come up earlier in the morning and pack some snow between the under gap in my tarp for better wind protection.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast