Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

How do you fit the static end of Wookie on BlackBird?

Sparing you the long read, the answer is found here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-MU34O0Vf4

it's about 56 seconds into the video. It does go over the knob but not over the continuous loop, so it is "locked" to the knob; not "over the knob" where it could slide a little way down the hammock.

******** long rambling follows ***********

The written instructions say the static loop should fit snugly over the end of the whip (at the head end). But English is a funny language - especially with words like "over". It's like when I do word puzzles with friends and they ask if the letter "x" is at the end of the word. I'm pretty sure they mean the right-hand side. But a group of letters has two "ends". Sometimes its hard to realize the different interpretations of a word when it seems so clear to you.

So does "over" mean, "...over the gather knob so it snugs in where the continuous loop leaves the hammock."? Or does it mean, "...over the gather knob so it's on the hammock side of that knob."? That's what I figured but in the morning I found the loop has slipped a little over 2 inches passed where the knob is gathered.

The instructions say the loop/cord can be tightened, but given the slippery and tapered nature of the nylon fabric at the gathered end, I'd think there would always be some slippage there.

On the other hand, if that static loop was to the right of that knob, locked in by the continuous loop leaving the hammock, it wouldn't move at all and any "give" would be via the elastic at the other end.

I'm using the lightest fabric (Thank you, Agent Moulder, it really makes a difference.) so I don't want to inadvertently stretch it beyond its design.

One more story on word interpretation. It's one of my funniest encounters when, in another lifetime, I was tech support for a database design tool. We could import comma or tab-delimited text from any other source. The instructions said to "...save the file as text ....". I got a call from a customer who said the database wouldn't import his Microsoft file. I asked if he had saved it as text and he said he had. I'll spare you the fifteen minutes of exchange as we tried different things. I could tell he wasn't arrogant or belligerent. He just wanted to get his work done. Usually, we don't venture away from our specific app - because we are not responsible for Microsoft's software (thank heaven). But I had him start from inside the MS file and save his intended output. Over the phone, I heard four key clicks. It was an eye roll, head shake moment. "What did you name that file?", I ask. "Just as the instructions said," he replied, "I saved it as 'Text'."

For the non-techies, there's a difference between the name of a file and the format of a file. When we were telling the customers to save the file as text, we weren't saying to give it the name "text", we were saying to save it in the format of text. That conversation was 26 years ago and it's in my mind just like yesterday.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-26-2022 at 15:15.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

On the other hand, if that static loop was to the right of that knob, locked in by the continuous loop leaving the hammock, it wouldn't move at all and all "give" would be via the elastic at the other end.

Depends upon which side of the hammock you are standing...
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-26-2022 at 13:00.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > Depends upon which side of the hammock you are standing...
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Respectfully, I think you may have 'overthought' that to the point of failure. I say that as a person who has the tendency to do the same thing, so I recognize it easily.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The Video takes away all the ambiguity. I originally slipped it over the gather knob, just as the instructions said to do. I usually have a ring on the continuous loops - making it easy to swap out various suspension systems (and creating a water break). But this time I had just to loop suspension was there and the Wookie static loop went over that too. Because this was light fabric - 10D - I didn't want to stress it more until I was sure it was designed to fit the way it is clearly shown in the video.

• + New Posts