Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessy hammock + ENO atlas "daisy chain" suspension

Hello all,

I tried searching this question, since I would assume it's been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer.

I use a Hennessy hammock, and I usually use the "figure-8 lashing" knot from Derek Hansen's book to hang from the standard 3-4'' webbing that came with the hammock. It's always held me well. Essentially, the rope gets fed through the loops in the webbing, then wrapped under the rope, back between the webbing, etc.

Can I use the same knot to attach the rope coming from the hammock to a "daisy chain" style suspension, only with the w'end looped through the "daisy chain loop" instead of between the webbing? Ugh, explaining knots is beyond my abilities -- I hope that makes sense?

Thanks for any advice.

Carmike

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    I can't see why it wouldn't work. The figure-8/Hennessy lashing works by creating friction in the rope. And that works equally well in the way you describe, if I understood it correctly.

Cheers,
    Matti

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    The proof is in the pudding
    If your suspension works for you, then it works.

You can install Grog Knot apps on your phone. It might be called Animated Knots by Grog.

You can camp with other hammock campers in your area. Group hangs are announced on Hammock Forums.
    Click Forums, click outings, click hangouts, click your area
    When camping with other hammock campers, you will see many types of hammock suspensions.

Watch Shug’s YouTube videos showing many different hammock suspensions and hammock knots.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    There's no reason it shouldn't work, but depending on the size of the loops on the daisy chain it might get a bit 'crowded.'

However, as Phantom suggests there are many other options, and I would add that nearly all are far simpler and quicker to tie than the figure 8 lashing. Imagine if you had to untie that lashing in order to reposition the webbing on the tree... which is why a quicker system is advantageous. Google "hammock suspension knots" and there's about a gazillion, with a lot of results for Becket hitch (slipped sheet bend) which would absolutely work with the Hennessy rope and a daisy chain.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

The other option for using daisy chain webbing with a Hennessy is to put Cls on the hammock and use a 'biner to attach to the straps. Just one of the options (per cmoulder) that's much easier than that figure 8 lashing. The CLs also allow for using many other suspension options...

Dutch has a video about using CLs on a Hennessy.

I swapped out cl on my safari deluxe along with spider poly with beetle buckles from Dutch.....much simpler, and over 100g lighter to boot. Speed of setup is along the lines of 2 minutes. Best mod so far....

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'd go with TominMN's solution. To make it simple - a value that might supersede the value of "no hardware" - just tie a figure-8 knot (loop) near the hammock and use a carabiner to clip that loop into the best daisy chain link. You can keep the Figure-8 knot in place (until you eventually switch out the original suspension line for an Amsteel loop) and just use the carabiner and daisy chain.

Once you develop a "princess and the pea" sensitivity - such as myself - depending upon the spacing of your chain loops, you may want to make a "half-step". I have a small Amsteel loop that I can double over to create a half-step distance between two chain loops.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankenator View Post
    I swapped out cl on my safari deluxe along with spider poly with beetle buckles from Dutch.....much simpler, and over 100g lighter to boot. Speed of setup is along the lines of 2 minutes. Best mod so far....
    I like Beetle Buckles a lot but I think maybe the OP wants to use those Atlas straps for now. Of course Dutch's Mantis would save weight over a 'biner if weight is at all a concern.

I hung a coupe times with stock, tried the atlas straps with bowlined stock ropes and a biner(was almost as annoying as stock, to be honest.....but still better. Continuous loops could be attached with a biner....anything but those damned ropes lol

Thank you all for the tips. I always tell myself that I'm going to improve my set up, so maybe it's time to actually do it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast