Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle

What UQ for 50-60F?(10-15.5C)

Doing an impromptu motorcycle ride/overnight hang this weekend (Yamaha Stryker 1300 cruiser) that is in an area that is kind of car camping. They don't allow vehicles in the camping area (which is very cool!). Vehicles must be parked in the lot that is about 1.2 mile round trip I'd rather not have to make at 2am....what with all the Werewolves and Sasquatches about.

What do you use for an UQ in 50-60 degrees? (10-15.5 C)
    I have a 30 and a 20 that I'd rather not drag along. I was thinking of using a quilt protector with a fleece blanket folded in half under my hammock? Any thoughts or experiences?
    TIA.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I use a 40F HG Phoenix paired with a 40F HG Incubator, and I don't supplement the footbox. Once the temps get to 40s, I do need something extra for the footbox otherwise my lower legs get cold. What's the bulk of your 30F compared to the fleece blanket/uqp combo? If it's less, I'd drag it along.

I don't have a UQP, so I can't speculate.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I was playing around with similar ideas many years ago and failed miserably.

First, I tried to fold and lay a fleece blanket to the inside a PLUQ. (Same principle.) The fleece tended to slide down and pool in the middle of the PLUQ. It won't stay neatly in place where you want it. In addition, the weight of fleece was more than the shock cords could handle and tended to pull the whole kit-and-caboodle away from the underside of the hammock causing an air gap. I tried adding more shock cord from the sides over the top of my ridgeline, but it didn't really work to hold the fleece up to the bottom of the hammock. Pretty much useless.

So I tried simply placing the fleece blanket in the bottom of the hammock and laying on top of it. Same thing happens. The fleece slides down to the low point in the hammock and you end up sleeping on a wadded ball of blanket. Uncomfortable and not warm anywhere except directly under the wad piles. It didn't help that I'm a restless sleeper and every turn moved the fleece under me.

Finally I tried using binder and alligator clips to attach the fleece directly to the underside of the hammock. Sounds good in principal, but when I got in, the hammock stretches more than the fleece and the fleece pulls the clips right off the hammock and everything falls the ground.

I gave up playing with the idea after that.

In hindsight, one thing I didn't try was clipping the fleece to the inside of the PLUQ first before I hung it under the hammock. You might try clipping your fleece to your UQP before you hang it in an attempt to keep the fleece from sliding down to the bottom. But you'll likely still be dealing with the weight issue (pulling the whole thing away from your hammock) unless you are using a very small and lightweight fleece blanket.

I find I can be perfectly comfortable using virtually any UQ (even a 20* UQ) at temps up to 60*-70*F. I don't get any warmer than laying on my bed at home and if I do want a little rush of cooler air, I just pull the UQ to the side for a bit. Or more often, I just kick off my TQ. My backside rarely seems to get too warm.

Just from my own experience, I believe you'll be more comfortable with your 30* UQ (particularly if you can vent it) than to try to jury-rig a fleece/UQP combo. And depending on what you have, it will likely be lighter and pack down better than a fleece/UQP would as well.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    I was playing around with similar ideas many years ago and failed miserably.

First, I tried to fold and lay a fleece blanket to the inside a PLUQ. (Same principle.) The fleece tended to slide down and pool in the middle of the PLUQ. It won't stay neatly in place where you want it. In addition, the weight of fleece was more than the shock cords could handle and tended to pull the whole kit-and-caboodle away from the underside of the hammock causing an air gap. I tried adding more shock cord from the sides over the top of my ridgeline, but it didn't really work to hold the fleece up to the bottom of the hammock. Pretty much useless.

So I tried simply placing the fleece blanket in the bottom of the hammock and laying on top of it. Same thing happens. The fleece slides down to the low point in the hammock and you end up sleeping on a wadded ball of blanket. Uncomfortable and not warm anywhere except directly under the wad piles. It didn't help that I'm a restless sleeper and every turn moved the fleece under me.

Finally I tried using binder and alligator clips to attach the fleece directly to the underside of the hammock. Sounds good in principal, but when I got in, the hammock stretches more than the fleece and the fleece pulls the clips right off the hammock and everything falls the ground.

I gave up playing with the idea after that.

In hindsight, one thing I didn't try was clipping the fleece to the inside of the PLUQ first before I hung it under the hammock. You might try clipping your fleece to your UQP before you hang it in an attempt to keep the fleece from sliding down to the bottom. But you'll likely still be dealing with the weight issue (pulling the whole thing away from your hammock) unless you are using a very small and lightweight fleece blanket.

I find I can be perfectly comfortable using virtually any UQ (even a 20* UQ) at temps up to 60*-70*F. I don't get any warmer than laying on my bed at home and if I do want a little rush of cooler air, I just pull the UQ to the side for a bit. Or more often, I just kick off my TQ. My backside rarely seems to get too warm.

Just from my own experience, I believe you'll be more comfortable with your 30* UQ (particularly if you can vent it) than to try to jury-rig a fleece/UQP combo. And depending on what you have, it will likely be lighter and pack down better than a fleece/UQP would as well.
    I have tried some things like that with no luck either... Which brings me to my current hair brained scheme... Neodymium magnets! Strong and light.
    I finished my back yard "hammock lab" last friday, and will be doing some testing. I used them with with one of those costco down blankets in my 30F UQ at spring MAHHA and it seemed to stay in place well.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeBeard13 View Post
    I have tried some things like that with no luck either... Which brings me to my current hair brained scheme... Neodymium magnets! Strong and light.
    I finished my back yard "hammock lab" last friday, and will be doing some testing. I used them with with one of those costco down blankets in my 30F UQ at spring MAHHA and it seemed to stay in place well.
    Head slap!! Why didn't I think of that. Please let us know how that works out for you. I've got some other ideas I've been playing with to affix things to my hammock and if the magnets hold your fleece, then they'll likely hold my other doodads as well.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    There you go! If the magnets will keep it all in place, that's what I would do.

You mentioned using a Costco down blanket before. It's probably too late for your weekend trip, but I modified one of my Costco down blankets into an underquilt, and it's perfect for those 50F-ish+ nights.

EDIT: have a great time on your motorcycle trip! I have a few coming up myself and can't wait.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could just vent your 30º.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I agree with just taking the 30deg and venting, if necessary. Much easier!

However, my guess is that at those temperatures you won't even have to vent the UQ. At home, the average mattress has an R rating of something like 20 and yet we don't need to vent them... just kick off the blanket, duvet, whatever.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Doing an impromptu motorcycle ride/overnight hang this weekend (Yamaha Stryker 1300 cruiser) that is in an area that is kind of car camping. They don't allow vehicles in the camping area (which is very cool!). Vehicles must be parked in the lot that is about 1.2 mile round trip I'd rather not have to make at 2am....what with all the Werewolves and Sasquatches about.

What do you use for an UQ in 50-60 degrees? (10-15.5 C)
    I have a 30 and a 20 that I'd rather not drag along. I was thinking of using a quilt protector with a fleece blanket folded in half under my hammock? Any thoughts or experiences?
    TIA.
    UPDATE: Slept in the hammock last night (52F). The fleece wasn't too bad but I didn't set it up just right and my shoulders were a bit cold. Back and butt were OK. Got up for the 2:30 am pee and switched to the "Costco" down blanket. It held MUCH better with the magnets due to the thinner materials, slept OK till 4 am. I was a bit chilly but not pack up and abandon the camping trip chilly, but I tapped out and went inside.

In the grand scheme of things, the magnets worked well. It was OK but the lack of adjustability was an serious issue. It was very fiddly to set up. At this point, using a 30 degree would be better at this point, but not bad for a first try. I might keep messing with it, but if I need to buy a bunch of stuff or make a lot of mods I'd sooner use the 30 degree bag or buy a cheap 50 degree bag.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    NOTE about those tiny magnets. I have a pair of fingerless gloves - a glitten (glove/mitten) where a "pocket" folds over the fingers to make it a mitten when desired. Instead of the old-fashioned Velcro, it has tiny magnets in the cuff to hold back the mitten covering.

That made it REAL INTERESTING when I held a compass in my hand to find the snow-covered trail I was looking for.

If you have magnets on your gear make sure you are not near it when using your compass - like if taking a break by taking your pack off and standing over it while taking a reading.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast