SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps

Shinning Rock Wilderness Loop June 17 & 18

I’m heading up to SRW Fri & Sat to do a loop around the Art Loeb Trail and the MST. I need to escape this crazy heat in the Piedmont - temps are forecasted for low 70s/mid 40s night so should be perfect hiking and hammock conditions. Haven’t finalized my loop yet but will probably start from the Black Balsam lot. I plan to be back mid day Sun for Father’s Day activities but if anyone cares to join a last min trip feel free to drop me a PM for more details.

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Man - Shining Rock Wilderness! Was just talking about that hike at the TrailHeadz hang! If I were closer ... and in a LOT better condition ...

I think I still have the scars from the last SRW trip I took. Tough hike. Gorgeous views. I did Art Loeb up to Cold Mountain and looped it around to Stairs Mountain, then caught Shining Rock, went over to Flower Knob, Grassy Cove Top, and cut back on Ivestor Gap trail to Little East Fork back to Camp Daniel Boone. A good GPS device or incredible map reading skills are essential because the blazes were almost nonexistent - but Little East Fork was very nice.

The rest of that trail beat me half to death. But the views were absolutely worth it - except Cold Mountain which was completely socked in

And yeah. I'd do it again.

I'm jealous - does it show?
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Haha - I know what you mean. I did the full ALT going northbound last June and it was tough - heavy elevation changes and the ridgeline up from Deep Gap to Silvermine Bald was brutal in the heat and humidity. I also did the exact loop you described in December with a night on Cold Mountain where the winds hit 30+ mph. Was pretty cold and foggy. Unfortunately the damage from Hurricane Fred in 2021 really impacted sections of the Little East Fork - in several sections it was barely passable due to mudslides. The ALT up from CDB to Cold Mountain also suffered a couple of pretty serious wash outs.

I plan to stick to the Balds and MST with the connector trail to Big East Fork this time. Should be less elevation change but I’ll still benefit from the panoramic views on the Balds.

Sunset view from camp at Cold Mountain before the fog set in

DSC02518 by Twistytee, on Flickr
    Last edited by Twistytee; 06-13-2022 at 22:22.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I’m still heading up to SRW tomorrow in case there’s any last minute joiners. Plan to do the southern loop around Shinning Creek, ALT, Graveyard Fields, etc. Weather looks clear so far with temps in 60-70 range and no rain in the forecast.

• + New Posts