WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I only use 2 sections (and no EMT inner sleeve), and am 225-ish. If you're making it for indoors do you need to have it in 3 sections?
    Either way - the slop in the joints where the pieces go together will introduce your play in the ridge rail. The less joints, the less it will flex upwards when you get in. The legs are supporting your weight and the top rail is only to keep the legs from tipping/falling inwards towards each other. You get some upward bowing of the rail when you get in from the two sets of legs being pulled inwards toward each other by your hammock and the rail forcing them to stay apart. It's like grabbing either end of the pipe with your hands and trying to bend the pipe in half.
    Its for indoor use only- the big issue is how to get the pieces home from lowes/homedepot. (I don't own a truck! -and even if I did, I couldn't afford to fill the gas tank lol!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Its for indoor use only- the big issue is how to get the pieces home from lowes/homedepot. (I don't own a truck! -and even if I did, I couldn't afford to fill the gas tank lol!)
    I hear ya - I'm looking at my diesel truck with the 32 gal tank out the window. Luckily I don't have to drive much anymore!
    If you get them to cut the pole in half, it's 5.5 feet. Not sure how you'd do the 2x2 boards though - unless you have a hatchback or roof rack to put them on. Otherwise you're going to need some type of pipe for the legs or four more fence rails cut in half. But that's bringing you back up to the $100 mark. If you're going to have to do metal for the legs you may as well look at the DIY Tensahedron. There's some options there for 4' legs IIRC.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    So even at 240 lbs, having 3 sections of fence rail is strong enough????
    I'm thinking it will. Remember the top rail is mostly for the force in compression horizontally not vertically.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill View Post
    I'm thinking it will. Remember the top rail is mostly for the force in compression horizontally not vertically.
    BTW, I'm not in that weight class, more of a middle weight. but I've used a 3 section setup for several years with no noticeable bowing at all and it stows in the trunk of my compact car easy.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Steve-

I've got one of those galvanized pipe stands (it sits outside actually) and holds up well.
    It was shockingly expensive a few years back... I'd hate to price it again now

That said- I messed up a little in buying 6' pipe for the ends as it was way too high for a bridge to attach right at the T where it's strongest.
    Also- for the Big Guy I felt like I could use a small extension (13' total) on each end of the top rail.

So going from scratch- I'd do a T fitting at the base and the top rail so I could extend the 12' top rail with two 6" pieces per side.
    I'd buy 5' pipes (or shorter) for the verticals. At the time... figured all 6' piece would be good and it was for a gathered end, but not for the bridges.

I do hang the Happy Medium on it easily and weigh 235lbs these days.

All that said-

I would simply get a 16' 2x4 and a 16' 2x6 and build an upside down T beam and trim it to length for my next ridge pole.
    The only advantage of paying for the Galvanized Pipe is that you can break that stand down for transport.

One of these days I keep meaning to build one to simply hang from the floor joists in the basement (with no legs)
    If you were confident of your ceiling joists (and hitting them) you could go that route (or climb into the attic to back them).

If not- you can build legs under it.
    Thx for the idea Bill! Would it have to be a continuous 2x4 , or would a splice with a doubler work?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12