Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

12' Hammock in 1.2 MTN XL hammock such as dreamhammock's FreeBird? Or something else?

I love love love hammocks. Own 4, a couple backyard hammocks, a double klymt hammock and a hennessy hammock deep jungle xl. And finally, also a Paria Sanctuary 10x12 cat cut tarp, and hummingbird hammocks XL tree straps. I'm 6'6" and 205#.

I am trying to be more of a ULW hiker for bigger hikes and future thru hikes. I already have a 2022 Durston X-Mid 1P and 2P tents, and am trying to create a ULW hammock setup so I have the option of either tent/hammock depending on what I prefer for longer trips.

I posted this question on reddit and realized I don't just want a hammock chair, I want a ULW hammock that is comfy and modular.

If so, I had these questions regarding their order form.

I think getting a 12 foot UL hammock from dream hammock in 1.2MTN-XL is the way to go. I appreciate the recommendation!

Just a few questions:

1. The model I want is just the basic FreeBird right? I.e. keep it modular by not having the bug net embedded into it.
    2. Should I make the ridgeline adjustable? Seems like YES because I won't have an integrated bug net.
    3. Suspension -- just the continuous loop right? Since I already have the hummingbird tree straps.
    4. Underquilt or Tieout hooks -- I don't use an under quilt, I use UL pads (thermarest x-therm and uberlite); so I think I'd say no to the under quilt setup? And I'm not sure what tieout points are, I think my Henessey Hammock Jungle XL has them, but not sure I've ever used them. Ideas?
    5. For width, do I select as wide as possible?
    6. Is dream hammock the best choice for an ultralight weight setup like this?

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by arooni View Post
    Just a few questions:

1. The model I want is just the basic FreeBird right? I.e. keep it modular by not having the bug net embedded into it.
    2. Should I make the ridgeline adjustable? Seems like YES because I won't have an integrated bug net.
    3. Suspension -- just the continuous loop right? Since I already have the hummingbird tree straps.
    4. Underquilt or Tieout hooks -- I don't use an under quilt, I use UL pads (thermarest x-therm and uberlite); so I think I'd say no to the under quilt setup? And I'm not sure what tieout points are, I think my Henessey Hammock Jungle XL has them, but not sure I've ever used them. Ideas?
    5. For width, do I select as wide as possible?
    6. Is dream hammock the best choice for an ultralight weight setup like this?

Many thanks!
    I'll take a whack at some of your questions. I made myself a MTN 1.2 in the wide fabric and like it, though the extra width is wasted on me. I like the MTN fabric for its toughness and light weight. On to the questions.

1- If you want to be modular with components then yes, the FreeBird is just a basic gathered end hammock with no bug net. This is also my preferred style.
    2 - If you're not certain how much sag you want in the hammock then an adjustable ridgeline is a fine idea.
    3 - Can't answer that.
    4 - Can't answer that either.
    5 - Width is a matter of personal preference and will be impossible to say without trying. Go ahead and make it as wide as possible and hope that works for you. At worst, you'll just end up with some floppy fabric on the sides which isn't a big deal. Later on down the line you can buy or borrow a "standard" width hammock and see how that feels. In my own case I made mine wide but found that the extra width didn't make any difference in comfort. But I'm only 5'9" and you're much taller so it might be better for you than for me.
    6 - Dream would be a fine company for this project as they specialize in custom orders.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'll give it a go as well, although similarly I'm 5'8" and don't have the issues of tall folks...

1. Yes, Freebird is a great choice for modularity but one thing to absolutely add is the Knotty Mod, if that is available, which neatly takes care of extra floppy material on the edges.

2. At 205lb with a 1.2 material, I would go with a fixed 83% RL. The reason for this is that without a RL if you happen to misjudge or are forced into a somewhat flat suspension angle, a lot of extra tension will go directly into the hammock material, which isn't a good thing. With a RL, the stress on the hammock fabric remains the same. 12' of 7/64" Amsteel is good insurance, IMO.

3. I haven used that suspension set-up but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

4. Can't answer for you, but I don't use UQ hooks or side pull-outs or any other doodads, even with a UQ. I dunno, just don't need 'em.

5. I'd e-mail DH ask for their recommendation given your height/weight. When I first got into hammocking, I wanted a 10-footer and asked what width they'd recommend, which for me was 64" and that is still my fave coming up on 5 years now.

6. DH is a great vendor — I have 3 Dariens, after all — but if you want something in a real hurry there is Simply Light Designs whose Tree Runner is, like the Freebird, a simple, no-frills model that Jared will make to order. And you'll have it lickety-split. It's almost like he mailed it before you ordered it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I almost pulled the trigger on dream hammocks, but around that time I spent some sleepless nights tossing and turning and wanting to stomach sleep in my gathered-end hammocks (not cool brah), which has me settled these days in an Amok. Before that though, I tried many top end GEs. I found simply light designs to be the best; best customization, price, comfort, weight, etc. I don’t think you can go wrong with Dream, but you should take a gander at simply light, something about the way he does his cuts on the ends that seems to result in a flatter lay that eliminates calf ridge and has has less shoulder squeeze—-lots of options in material for length and weight, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    I'll go a +1 on SLD - it's an amazingly comfortable hammock. I can't weigh in on the Dream Hammock because I haven't owned one ... yet. (The acquisition disorder is real!) But I'll also add that the most comfortable gathered end hammock I've slept in so far is the Banshee I've got from Trail Headz - not the UL, though I tried that one out too and there's no real difference in lay as far as I can tell, which is incredible to me - but the standard 11' hammock. Still light as a thought, and by far the most comfortable (gathered end) hammock I've had. When hung right, no calf ridge and no shoulder squeeze at all for me - and I'm a tall guy. Even when I didn't get the hang just right, calf ridge was minimal, but I have to confess it was there.

The upshot, as always, is - lots of options from lots of great vendors to choose from, and everyone has a hammock they love. Your mileage may vary, but I'll bet you can't go wrong with any of these folks - and their after-sale service is always stellar.

Plus, who doesn't need more hammocks?
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Great suggestions everyone! I very much appreciate it. Just sent an email to simply light designs.

What would be a superior suspension setup to the hummingbird xl straps? They're 2.3 oz total.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arooni View Post
    Great suggestions everyone! I very much appreciate it. Just sent an email to simply light designs.

What would be a superior suspension setup to the hummingbird xl straps? They're 2.3 oz total.
    Very subjective!

Suspensions can range from very heavy rigs with all manner of buckles and rings and carabiners and daisy chains right down to simple webbing that doesn't even require a loop on the end if you know some basic knots. Personally, I like things as simple as possible so I use Kevlar webbing or Myerstech hybrid poly/dyneema straps, which IMO is the current "best" lightweight off-the-shelf option.

HOWEVER, 2.3oz is very reasonable even for a gram weenie, and there's a lot to be said for sticking with something that you're already familiar with and which works.

The thing about systems that use different elements is that sometimes in areas where trees are really far apart or close together, or where trees are mostly really skinny or really gargantuan, some parts such as huggers, whoopies etc might have to be adjusted accordingly. With simple straps and knots, as long as the length is adequate it makes no difference.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Can I ask the community what you think of:

1. Weights: worth it or not?

Peak shelf is around .5 oz

Gear Pouch is @ .25 oz

Knotty mod is about .5 oz for a pair of them

Seems like 1.25 oz for some nice comfort upgrades. I think why not right?

2... Continuous loops:
    Permanent and crafted thru channels or
    Removeable

I'm confused here honestly.

3. Stuff sack: original or sewn with strap storage location + .25 oz?

Thoughts? I guess the idea is to be able to put the straps with the hammock? Wondering if this is worth it or if I could just stuff my straps (hummingbird hammocks already has their own setup) inside the hammock bag?

4. Fixed ridgeline -- It seems this guy knows what he's doing and perhaps better to let him set the ridgeline; I have no strong feelings on the subject but like the ridge line on my Hennessy hammock.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I have a few comments that may or may not be helpful. BTW- I’ve owned both a 1.2 MNT XL Dream Hammock Darien and a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair in the same material, both excellent, well-made, and comfortable. Highly recommend either shop.

I have a peak shelf on the SLD and didn’t on the DH Darien. I can recommend adding it for the small weight penalty. I had Jared add it to the head end and keep my hat, gloves, fleece, etc. stuffed there at night for easy access.

I have a 6 pocket mesh ridgeline organizer which I believe is similar to a nylon gear pouch? This I view as a necessity - store my eyeglasses, headlamp, phone, battery, bottle of water, etc all within easy reach.

I cannot comment on a knotty mod as I’ve never used a hammock that had one done.

I’m a fan of removable continuous loops - allows me to remove and add hardware for quick suspension connections if wanted (like turtle ties), swap out for short dog bones with loops to connect to whoopie hooks, or simply easier to replace if they get worn. Permanent CLs are perhaps lighter and spread the gathered end more evenly but most manufacturers seem to go with removable as standard.

Most cottage manufacturers include a double sided bishop bag to stuff hammock into and move along either side of your suspension. Ones with sewn storage for straps are convenient. They also remind you not to leave them on trees when packing up. I also have a small Dyneema stuff sack that I stuff stake shock cord, extra dog bones, and hammock straps when I don’t bring a bishop bag. Really it just depends on how you like to organize your gear and pack.

I suggest getting the fixed ridgeline as recommended by cmoulder. Helps keep your hang angle correct, takes stress off the hammock body, and allows for use of the ridgeline organizer.

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the new hammock and any of the options you decide are worthwhile.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Get the adjustable RL. A 12' hammock in 1.2mtn is going to have some stretch. I have an 11' Dream netless in the same and prefer the RL to be a couple inches longer than my equal length hammocks in 1.6 or similar fabrics.YMMV. Once dialed-in it is easy to set permanently if you want.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast