Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It’s probably just for physological comfort but I do push on the tree to see if I can feel any movement. And I should look up more. The kinds of trees we have around here seldom have any hanging branches - but it only takes one. It’s sobering to walk in a park after a windstorm and see a HUGE Ponderosa Pine on it’s side. This area is a little dirt on top of a lot of Lava rock so roots can’t get down too far.

It’s a control device for Aspen. Once they get a bit of foliage, their roots can’t hold the wind load and over they go.

Remember, not only can you walk on (past the deadfall), you can also walk back - before the stand - to healthier trees.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch 11-foot
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Insulation
    HammockGear quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    I had this issue last year on the AT (just north of the GA/NC border). Lots of trees, but they were either very young (and not ready to host a hanger) or dead. My 3-day, 2-night hike became an overnighter; on day 2 I ended up hiking back to my truck.

I still wonder if I didn't search hard enough or if the area (which had some big fire damage a few years ago) was just not good for hammocks yet.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    I've woke up in the middle of the night hearing the sound of a massive tree falling down in the Amazon! Just a few feet from me the other side of the small river! It almost block the river. Creepy night!
    I avoid to set up a camp when the night has come and I can't see where I hang my hammock!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfed View Post
    I've woke up in the middle of the night hearing the sound of a massive tree falling down in the Amazon! Just a few feet from me the other side of the small river! It almost block the river. Creepy night!
    I avoid to set up a camp when the night has come and I can't see where I hang my hammock!
    Same thing here in Indiana. Headwaters of Monroe lake at the base of Terrill ridge right on Salt creek. Dark, hard thunderstorm. Big tree on the hillside behind us. Loud. Falls for a long time. Then begins to slide down the side of the ridge. It slides for a long long time. Somehow even though sounded like it was barreling right down on us, the next morning I couldn't find anything that might have possibly been the culprit. I can still remember how the ground shook when it hit the ground before beginning that long slide down the hill.

Brown hollow also now has some interesting large blow downs as well that all come from the steep hillside across the creek from where we all set up. I'll wager no one checks over there when setting up not thinking anything can fall across the creek into the camping area.
    Signature suspended

Kingdom of the Netherlands, Noord-Brabant
    Hammock
    DD Hammocks Superlight range
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    underblanket
    Suspension
    whoopie slings?
    I think there are a lot of good points in here.

- better safe than sorry. Walk back or further on if need be. No point in getting up close and personal with a falling tree in the night!
    - look up for the dead or already disconnected branches
    - do not set up camp in the night, as you cannot see what you are doing. I am guilty of this mistake too.
    - think about the soil: is it able to hold the trees, or is it just a meter of loose sand on rock?
    - think about the type of tree: don't go for the small and tall trees.
    - Is there any risk of heavy windfall in the area? This combines with the 2 points above as well.

Personally I also check for the following:
    - Type of vegetation under the trees; berry and nettle bushes aren't the most comfortable to have close to you and some might even be able to damage your setup. Long grass is also a great place for ticks to hide in. Ticks can bring quite nasty and barely curable diseases like Lyme.
    - I wouldn't go close stagnant water, due to the increased amount of bugs that will be there
    - Check for bugs around and on the trees. you don't want them crawling over you at night
    - In oak or pine forest: There are the oak- and the pine processionary caterpillars which will send off invisible little hairs that irritate your skin for days. In my area the oak ones are really prevalent, but the pine ones not yet.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Trees. Our allies and also our nemesis.
    As in all of nature, take caution and be vigilant.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

This stand was way better, but still not great. There was one other spot nearby that wasn't lodgepole, but it had a massive dead tree that was split down the middle on the edge of the stand and close enough to cause damage if it fell whereas this spot just had evidence of past failures with no indication of future problems. Lodgepole still freaks me out, though, with the amount of deadfall in each stand.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Trees. Our allies and also our nemesis.
    As in all of nature, take caution and be vigilant.
    Shug
    Good video & important topic. It can be frustrating because there are no hard & fast 'rules', just gut feelings.

One of my quandaries is finding a healthy looking tree in early spring that hasn't leafed out as much as its peers. Late to the party or poor health? All I have is gut feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Good video & important topic. It can be frustrating because there are no hard & fast 'rules', just gut feelings.

One of my quandaries is finding a healthy looking tree in early spring that hasn't leafed out as much as its peers. Late to the party or poor health? All I have is gut feelings.
    That's gotta be rough with only those three trees in the whole state to choose from.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    That's gotta be rough with only those three trees in the whole state to choose from.
    It is pretty rough with my typing skills.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12