Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

EGL Island Lake reconnaissance

I'm going to Island Lake near Noganosh PP for 4 days, Aug. 5-8 (Fri-Mon) to do some reconnaissance and I'd love some company. I think Island Lake could be a good spot for this group to meet up at but I want to scope it out first. I'd like to see if there are any sites big enough to handle 5-10 hammocks, I'd like to see how the parking works out, and I'd like to explore one of the many loops that can be done from Island Lake.

This area is a conservation reserve so there are no site fees, but also no thunder boxes nor portage signs. I will launch from the municipal boat launch at Bennett痴 Landing on Wahwashkesh Lake. Each car will need to purchase a parking permit for $40 from the municipality but I have room in my car and canoe for one (coming from Guelph) and I believe the permit is for the year so you could come back another time too. underserviced and I made it from that approximate location to Island Lake in about 4.5 hours last summer by following Farm creek. Farm Creek twists and turns but there's only 2 very short (~50m) portages. Once on Island Lake there are a handful of campsites. I'll be honest, I've only ever used one of them but I've seen people on 2 others and Kevin Callan's "Top 60 Canoe Routes of Ontario" says there are 8 sites within 1-2km of the outlet from Farm Creek, including 2 on opposite sides of an island in the far south-east corner of the lake, only 2km from the outlet of Farm Creek. I want to see if that would be a good spot for a large group.

Once I've scoped out the camp sites I plan on doing the 2-day Dutton and Wolf Lake loop starting from the north end of Island Lake. Kevin Callan has written about the Dutton and Wolf Lake loop, so while I've never done it, I'm pretty confident that it can be done. However, I don't know if the portages will be well marked, maintained or wide. If you like to explore, use your map and compass, and don't mind a few small challenges, then the Dutton-Wolf Lake loop might be for you. Frankly, anyone that did the 2400m portage to McIntosh Lake in May of this year can handle the Dutton-Wolf Lake loop.

Depending on how quickly I make it around the first half of the loop, I may have time to explore getting to Duck Lake. Kevin's book says the portage into Duck Lake is 1400m but as the crow flies it's only 600m. Maybe it's a typo and it is 400m. I don't think it could twist and turn enough to become 1400m.

If I make really good progress I would also love to see if we can get from Duck Lake to Dutton Lake. www.myccr.com says there is a 300m portage out of Duck Lake to a small lake/pond and my topo shows a creek from there to Dutton Lake. I'll have to see how much time I have and how adventurous I'm feeling.

Either way the plan is to make it back to Island Lake for night 3 and then paddle home on day 4.

If you're interested and can get the time off work/away from the family let me know.

theyland

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0 or 1.6
    Tarp
    Dyneema
    Insulation
    Top&UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie & W_hooks
    Images
    Hi - I think I can be around Guelph then - maybe message me at 678-772-4999 if you are still going ?
    Regards, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserQuest View Post
    Hi - I think I can be around Guelph then - maybe message me at 678-772-4999 if you are still going ?
    Regards, Brian
    Brian, sorry but I知 terrible with names and there痴 no faces here. Have we met? Were you at McIntosh this May? I知 Tim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theyland View Post
    Brian, sorry but I知 terrible with names and there痴 no faces here. Have we met? Were you at McIntosh this May? I知 Tim.

Are you from the states?

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi Theyland,

Sounds interesting. Can't commit just yet though.

Found this on YouTube...I'm enjoying the whole series.

Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol Winterlight
    Suspension
    Amok cinch buckles
    Jonathan Kelly (aka YouTuber "Lost Lakes" ... previously "Back Country Angler" whose video Chard shared) generously made his map of the area available for free on Avenza. Teaser excerpts below. Well worth getting a hold of for this trip.

Really wish I could join you but it conflicts with another trip committment.
    Last edited by KeeWayKeno; 06-20-2022 at 07:58.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    ugq Fjack and zep
    Suspension
    Webbing n buckles
    I'm keen to get back up to Noganosh agaopin, but I'll be out east early August. Looking forward to a trip report!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got my parking pass in the mail. It took 16 days to come from McKellar, ON to Guelph. So if you want to join me and you値l be coming in a different vehicle, you値l need to order before July 14 to be safe. That allows 3 weeks for delivery.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol Winterlight
    Suspension
    Amok cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by theyland View Post
    I just got my parking pass in the mail. It took 16 days to come from McKellar, ON to Guelph. So if you want to join me and you値l be coming in a different vehicle, you値l need to order before July 14 to be safe. That allows 3 weeks for delivery.
    k
    Just FYI, the local cottagers association advised parking permits can be purchased at the Marina store at Bennett's Landing if you're arriving during business hours.

Sorry folks but I知 no longer going. Too many chores to do around the house and lack of interest. I値l plan much further ahead next time too. Thanks for the maps and videos. Those will keep me busy during next winter痴 dreaming season.

BTW, I have a parking pass if anyone wants it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast