DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images

Stacking Asym Yeti UQ on Outside - Does Lay Direction Matter?

I sleep both standard and reverse lay (depending on mood and hammock) and most of my UQs are symmetrical, but I do have an asymmetrical (standard lay) WB Yeti. My question below presumes sleeping in a symmetrical GE hammock. Also, my question applies only to the Yeti since it is shaped much differently than other asym UQs like the WB Wookie and SLD Trailwinder, etc.

Question: When stacking UQs with the asym Yeti on the inside and a sym UQ like an HG Incubator on the outside, I would naturally presume to sleep in line with the Yeti (standard lay), but when stacking UQs with the asym Yeti on the outside and a sym UQ on the inside, does it really make a difference which direction I sleep?

I've tried laying both ways and haven't noticed that it makes much difference. It's not like I'm tucking my shoulder into the the Yeti when it's on the outer layer and in some ways I'm thinking there might even be an advantage to having the baffles crossing more severely. But sometimes thinking gets me in trouble, so figured I would ask to see if anyone has experience stacking the Yeti and would know whether I was doing myself a disservice by sleeping reverse lay when my standard lay Yeti is stacked on the outside of my Incubator.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    I sleep both standard and reverse lay (depending on mood and hammock) and most of my UQs are symmetrical, but I do have an asymmetrical (standard lay) WB Yeti. My question below presumes sleeping in a symmetrical GE hammock. Also, my question applies only to the Yeti since it is shaped much differently than other asym UQs like the WB Wookie and SLD Trailwinder, etc.

Question: When stacking UQs with the asym Yeti on the inside and a sym UQ like an HG Incubator on the outside, I would naturally presume to sleep in line with the Yeti (standard lay), but when stacking UQs with the asym Yeti on the outside and a sym UQ on the inside, does it really make a difference which direction I sleep?

I've tried laying both ways and haven't noticed that it makes much difference. It's not like I'm tucking my shoulder into the the Yeti when it's on the outer layer and in some ways I'm thinking there might even be an advantage to having the baffles crossing more severely. But sometimes thinking gets me in trouble, so figured I would ask to see if anyone has experience stacking the Yeti and would know whether I was doing myself a disservice by sleeping reverse lay when my standard lay Yeti is stacked on the outside of my Incubator.
    The ‘tilt’ on the yeti is mild, it’s not very assymetric. I think putting the smaller yeti inside should do more to keep that bubble of warmth intact.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Thanks for the reply, chef1. I beginning to wonder whether anyone had any experience or an opinion on the matter. I was this close to sending a "Buehler?" follow-up. LOL

I agree that putting the Yeti on the inside would probably be best, but that would force me to a standard lay. I was trying to determine whether, by putting the Yeti on the outside, I could go with a reverse lay. I was hoping someone might have tried it that way and could speak from experience.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    PopcornFool, Not to be contrary, but I’d put the Yeti on the outside. My thinking is ... the symmetrical UQ will initially cover the whole surface area. It’s up against the hammock; no gaps. Then you add the Yeti. It adds more loft where most of your body is. In addition, it has a differential cut. You want to minimize compressing the first UQ, but if it is compressed a little (because of the second UQ), the Yeti will still have fill loft.

Of course the only “real” answer is the try both setups (with approximate same night time temps) and see how they feel for you.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    PopcornFool, Not to be contrary, but I’d put the Yeti on the outside. My thinking is ... the symmetrical UQ will initially cover the whole surface area. It’s up against the hammock; no gaps. Then you add the Yeti. It adds more loft where most of your body is. In addition, it has a differential cut. You want to minimize compressing the first UQ, but if it is compressed a little (because of the second UQ), the Yeti will still have fill loft.

Of course the only “real” answer is the try both setups (with approximate same night time temps) and see how they feel for you.
    Thanks cougarmeat, but I didn't have a question about stacking inside or outside. I understand pros and cons of my options there. I'm really just trying to determine whether lay direction makes a difference if I stack the Yeti outside. I know it will make a difference if I stack inside. Just not sure if it makes a difference when I stack the Yeti outside.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Thanks cougarmeat, but I didn't have a question about stacking inside or outside. I understand pros and cons of my options there. I'm really just trying to determine whether lay direction makes a difference if I stack the Yeti outside. I know it will make a difference if I stack inside. Just not sure if it makes a difference when I stack the Yeti outside.
    When I lay my yeti’s flat, there really is only a modest bias seen. I would think that you might have some shoulder coverage issues, but with a second full UQ this should be ok. Unfortunately it’s summer, so no way to test this out in the northern hemisphere. You could also email warbonnet, they usually respond promptly. They helped me out right away when I tried my first yeti out a few years ago, and sat on it instead of the hammock (bingo new shock cord…)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My ideal way is partial UQ on outside. Less of a chance to create a gap inside. Also I loosen the suspension of the UQ on the outside to lessen down compression.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    My ideal way is partial UQ on outside. Less of a chance to create a gap inside. Also I loosen the suspension of the UQ on the outside to lessen down compression.
    Shug
    Thanks Shug! But it looks like Frankenquilt is a symmetrical quilt. So is the Incubator. Lay direction doesn't matter with a symmetrical quilt. So it really doesn't matter which way you lay regardless of whether you are using Frankenquiilt by itself or stacking Frankenquilt inside or outside your Incubator.

I'm proposing stacking a Yeti outside an Incubator. Lay direction definitely matters when using a Yeti by itself or when stacking the Yeti inside the Incubator. It's an asymmetrical quilt. I'm just trying to figure out whether lay direction still matters when stacking the Yeti outside the Incubator.

I appreciate all the stacking advice from everyone, but my question isn't about stacking. It's about lay direction.
    I still haven't seen a definitive yes/no answer in that regard from anyone, so tossing it back out there again.

Not to worry though. It got down to a low of about 80*F last night here in Central Virginia. I've got quite a few months before I'll need to worry about it too much. LOL

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    When I lay my yeti’s flat, there really is only a modest bias seen. I would think that you might have some shoulder coverage issues, but with a second full UQ this should be ok. Unfortunately it’s summer, so no way to test this out in the northern hemisphere. You could also email warbonnet, they usually respond promptly. They helped me out right away when I tried my first yeti out a few years ago, and sat on it instead of the hammock (bingo new shock cord…)
    I hadn't thought to ask Warbonnet directly. I guarantee that lay direction will matter when stacking a Yeti outside a Wooki. It matters for the Wooki! I wonder though whether they've ever had the lay direction question come up before when stacking the Yeti outside a symmetrical UQ. Worth asking! Thanks!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks Shug! But it looks like Frankenquilt is a symmetrical quilt. So is the Incubator. Lay direction doesn't matter with a symmetrical quilt. So it really doesn't matter which way you lay regardless of whether you are using Frankenquiilt by itself or stacking Frankenquilt inside or outside your Incubator.

I'm proposing stacking a Yeti outside an Incubator. Lay direction definitely matters when using a Yeti by itself or when stacking the Yeti inside the Incubator. It's an asymmetrical quilt. I'm just trying to figure out whether lay direction still matters when stacking the Yeti outside the Incubator.

I appreciate all the stacking advice from everyone, but my question isn't about stacking. It's about lay direction.
    I still haven't seen a definitive yes/no answer in that regard from anyone, so tossing it back out there again.

Not to worry though. It got down to a low of about 80*F last night here in Central Virginia. I've got quite a few months before I'll need to worry about it too much. LOL
    I used to use my Yeti backwards all the time. Never really a problem. Give it a go before you get too concerned and caught up in what may be or may not work.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast