Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Diamond/Rectangle
    Insulation
    Onewind/sleep bag
    Suspension
    spider loops
    For the most part, I've stopped using stuff sacks. Mostly to save time setting up and taking down. I keep everything together in my pack. Not sure if it is any more or less compacted in there than a stuff sack. When it's not going to be used for some time, it comes out and relaxes in a closet. That being said. All my insulation is synthetic, sleeping bags etc, some going back to the 80s and often kept in a stuff sack for years and all seem to have survived with out any harm.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I always store mine in cotton bags when they arent packed for a trip.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    As little time as possible. Only in the compression bag when in the pack on the move. Once the tarp or tent is up. It's out of the bag. Home storage has always been in cotton storage bags. Maybe bit excessive behavior. Down bags seem relatively resilient relative to synthetic. The ancient Marmont Mountain Works, made in GrandJunction,CO down bag is still in good shape. It is one of of 2 down bags owned for the past few decades. Quality gear has the potential of lasting if you take care of it.
    Noel V.

I recently took a down vest out off storage after about 10 years that had been across the country from me. It's in pretty good shape and Im pretty sure it is natural down.

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    A few years ago I snapped up a few extra Costco Down Throws when I had the opportunity. I didn't do anything with them til last year - I took them out of the rolled cylindrical wrap and shook them out. They were noticeably flat, not puffy, even after a few days and a few more shakes. That wasn't a good feeling! I figured I had little to lose - so I washed them and put them in the dryer with tennis balls. They became good and puffy again. I can't recall if I tried the last step on its own before washing or not. But the bottom line is, yes, extended periods of compression does have an effect! It need not be permanent but you may have to take some steps to restore loft.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I organize everything my gear room, and then pack it before I leave for this reason. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but for the cost of materials and the headache of stuffing all that down myself...you bet I take every step I can to make it last a bit longer.
    Q: Does it get any better than kayak camping?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Is there a point to where the down would be damaged in your quilt staying stuffed rather tightly?
    I'm going on 3 days, been raining so much I haven't been able to get it out and use it. Going to let it breath tomorrow in the house, run it in the dryer on fluff cycle and then hang it in the gear closet.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
    For the most part, I've stopped using stuff sacks. Mostly to save time setting up and taking down.
    Same here. My down now is the first thing going in my pack - my pack is waterproof for the most part, but I still use a pack liner for my down, clothes..... - I just let the weight of everything compress it as needed and where needed. It actually is much easier to pack volume this way. Stuff sacks definitely compress better, but they also create space voids you have to try to fill when packing. Works better for me at least.

But I have I can't stand to leave things compressed. Usually shelter and bags are out within a few hours off trail. Usually I will hang up bags for a few days inside out, before they go in their storage bag. I store everything uncompressed. Have large cheap laundry duffles for tents, tarps, quilts/bags and hammocks now -and store it inside in the AC. It may be overkill - but it is working for me and my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by kstpehens View Post
    I can't stand to leave things compressed. Usually shelter and bags are out within a few hours off trail. Usually I will hang up bags for a few days inside out, before they go in their storage bag. I store everything uncompressed. Have large cheap laundry duffles for tents, tarps, quilts/bags and hammocks now -and store it inside in the AC. It may be overkill - but it is working for me and my gear.
    I don't think that it's overkill at all! If you have the room, nothing better than storing that stuff loose in a low-humidity environment. Okay, one better: hanging hammocks, tents, flies, etc. in a big, airy, conditioned space, but that is hardly practical for most folks.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    My standard response to customers is to not compress a quilt for long-term storage but if it ends up being stored for an extended period of time do not stress about it.

I've left quilts stored compressed for months to see what happens and they bounce back quickly after being shaken then laid out and given time to loft.

Down is more resilient than most folks think. We've seen quilts that were packed away damp for extended periods of time and after proper washing and drying, they bounce back to as good as new.

The one thing I've seen cause irreparable damage to down was a customer who washed their quilt with standard laundry detergent/fabric softener. The detergent left residue on the down that prevented it from lofting (and gave the quilt a strong smell of artificial flowers). Running the quilt through several rinse cycles and a wash cycle with down cleaner did not remove the residue and restore the loft.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12