Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images

What makes a quilt?

I’ve been pondering quilts lately. I know there are a number of great cottage quilt makers here in the USA. But now I wonder why go with any specific brand. Prices seem relatively similar from what I see online and so is quality. They all will (should) keep us warm. Of course there are some exceptions but those seem to be for something made specifically for a particular use.
    Guess what my question is, sell me on your favorite quilt maker.

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    I can only comment specifically on quilts I own or have owned.
    for traditional gathered end style underquilts, I really like the jrb mt Washington line of quilts. I have the mt W3 and the mt W4 and I love the horizontal radial baffles and the super simple attachment system. Just for reference, I use these on bridge hammocks so ymmv.
    if you’re a ridgerunner user and looking for an underquilt, in my opinion, the lynx is the only one I’d get. I have a 0* and It fits perfect. I had 2 loco libre quilts designed for the ridgerunner and in my opinion they don’t fit nearly as well although the construction was spectacular.
    for top quilts, if using in a hammock I like the jrb line of multi function quilts. I have the 20* and the 40*. I especially like how they use the dual sided snaps so the quilts can be stacked. I mention if using in a hammock because at 48” wide they’re just too narrow for my liking if ground sleeping. Again… these have the horizontal baffles that I really like because I love to shake all that down favoring the center… again ymmv.
    I have a 0* hammock gear sewn foot box standard length wide that I love. It is from the economy line and I’ll say dollar for dollar you will not find a better made, better priced quilt out there. I always talk up my jrb stuff but it’s hard not to go with hammock gear for the money. Id Also give the quality edge to hammock gear as well. I also love that they run a lot of 15% off sales.

this one might be kinda against the grain but if you are a ground sleeper you really should check out zenbivy. Nobody on here talks of them but if you really want something that truly integrates with a pad at a slight weight penalty, the system is amazing and the quality is quite good as well. I have both the 10* and the 25* and love them both when I hit the ground. Watch for sales! One just ended but they have several a year for 25% off.
    i don’t know if any of this is helpful, like I said these are brands I’ve personally used. If I had to pick one quilt maker based on quality and cost it would probably be hammock gear, and regardless of temp rating I would always go with their sewn foot box. Do I even need to say it? Ymmv!
    kris

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Over the years I've used quilts/bags from Enlightened Equipment, Hammock Gear, UQG, JRB (Sierra Stealth, recent acquisition, only once), Nemo (Siren), Timmermade and, back in the day, Western Mountaineering, Marmot and Campmor. And some I've forgotten, probably.

In my experience all of them are really excellent quality and I would consider intended environment, temperature range and personal preferences (warm/cold sleeper, toss/turn tendency, body size, type of hammock, etc), car camper, trad camper or UL backpacker where weight/volume are big considerations, and narrow down from there.

So when you ask "which is best?" the only valid response IMO is "for what?"

At least that's my 2¢.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    I actually think this could be a good discussion if we could get slightly away from the “ all cottage vendor stuff is great stuff” mantra. In the op’s defense, he’s not asking “what is best”. We have all gotten rid of good quality stuff from time to time in favor of items we prefer for ‘whatever reason”. Why not discuss those specific reasons why our preferred quilts are …..well….. our preferred quilts?
    kris
    Last edited by Kmazuro; 06-02-2022 at 07:52.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Well I have about 15 quilts and love all my 'babies' the same but for different reasons and seasons.

At any given time I prefer one over the others based solely on application. All the other design/material parameters more than meet my needs. If someone is of the UL persuasion, that alone is a huge factor for all gear choices. 10D shell and 850+ FP down are the first 2 boxes to check.

I sold my WM Puma a few years back simply because I rarely do -25°F trips any more, and the Marmot Plasma when I switched entirely over to quilts. I also have had a couple of Mountain Hardware bags; I still have a Phantom 45.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yeah, the term“maker” might make it seem like one brand is better constructed than another. I don’t have a broad experience with quits - a variety of hammocks is expensive enough - but when I choose, the options for color and fabric weight enter into it. I find my UGQ TQ’s are a bit warmer than my HG’s. But that’s because the UGQ’s have a sewn footbox rather than the more venting cinch I opted for with HG.

Other option is width. The usefulness of that feature depends upon your size and adventure activities. For example HG has a Wide option with their TQ’s. The idea is, if you have to go-to-ground, it provides a little more coverage because you don’t have the hammock body to keep it tucked in. At my size, when I use it - mostly during cold fall/winter, but not quite 0° rated gear is not yet required, I’m practically swimming in cozy down.

If you are looking for an alternative to the WB Lynx for the RidgeRunner, there are fewer choices out there; but they are there.

I haven’t read posts specific to Just Bill’s bridge hammocks for a while but I recall some discussions about the best UQ for that excellent alternative to the RidgeRunner.
    (some of us oldsters will remember the watch commercial that goes, “Someday, you too will own an Omega. (Omega being the answer, instead of Rolex, to premium watch in recent crossword)”. So, someday you too will own a Just Bill’s Bridge.

I think it’s a little like cars. If you are just doing short runs to the store in sunny California, a little Mazda Miata might be “the best maker”. But if you are running up to the Broken Top trailhead towards the end of summer - when the potholes are big enough to swallow a Miata - then a vintage Jeep Cherokee steals the “best maker” crown.

You might think a quilt just has one purpose so it’s simple. But pants (generally) have one purpose yet depending upon your particular physicality and intended environment of use, Levi might be a “best maker” over Ralph Lauren; but maybe not at a dinner party.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-03-2022 at 14:03.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I went with Hammock Gear and have been more than satisfied with their 20 and 40 degree quilts. I did move to Simplylight Designs under quilts because I find them more comfortable for a wide hammock and the performance with the built-in wind protection is fantastic year-round. In the winter I’ve combined the HG and SLD underquilts and they work very well together.

Good luck.

• + New Posts