Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

40F top quilt or bottom quilt for reduced bulk?

Currently I've got a 20/20 kit from Hammock Gear, Premium incubator, and an Economy burrow. I hope to do a lot of camping this summer, and I want a bit less weight and less bulk, since in Canada most nights where I'll be camping won't go below 50F (10C). Right now the incubator is quite a bit bulkier than the burrow, even though it's a premium model vs an economy burrow. My main concern isn't weight, but instead the bulk and physical packed size of the gear. Methinks getting a lighter premium UQ would have the most noticeable effect, and I currently have my eyes on another Hammock Gear premium incubator, 40F with 950 fill power. Price isn't much of a concern for me, but I'm just looking for some feedback to help me make a more educated decision here.

I've also considered a Warbonnet Wooki (I've got a Blackbird XLC), but I've already got an Incubator and really do like it, so I wanted to stick to what I know. Any opinions on what my best bet for minimal bulk would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    The HG will def keep you plenty warm in 50. I’ve used mine to 40 and was warm.

Personally, I’d go for the Wookie. I don’t have one , but I have a trailwinder from SLD that is a similar concept with synthetic insulation. Being asym, I would imagine that the Wookie would pack smaller than the HG since it has no down where you don’t need it. You do need to adjust it once to get it on you hammock, but it seems simple - it’s basically an insulated hammock shape under your hammock. Tension the ends once to get it right and that’s it.

Oh yeah, a 20f will work great in 50f and I could vent to cool it down. But it's the bulk I want to minimize, your recommendation for the wooki does make sense since it will need less down to fill the required space. Thanks for the input, I might check it out to see what the cost might be.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've got 40*, 20* and 0* HG premium quilt sets and they work fine for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

At those temps I use a 3/4 underquilt. It is much less bulky when packed. I use my sit pad under my feet.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix+Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps+buckles
    Images
    Another vote for 3/4 summer underquilt from me. I've got both 10F Incubator and 30F Phoenix (3/4) UQs from Hammock Gear. I was a little bit afraid of warmth and comfort of Phoenix, but I sleep in it more comfortably than in full-length Incubator. It is warm enough down to 40F even without sit pad etc. (but I'm using small stuff sack pillow with clothes under my knees). Amount of the down in the Phoenix is less than half that of the Incubator and it packs in half volume too.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    A premium Phoenix with 10D shell and 950FP fill will help a lot. I find that a shortie underquilt is fine for me for 40°F and warmer. I even have a 20deg rated shortie that works fine with the addition of my CCF sit pad in the TQ footbox.

When it comes to bulk, shell material makes more difference than fill material. 10D has proven plenty durable for me.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thanks for the suggestion, I never really considered a 3/4 because having my feet out always seemed like it would be too cold... But a 30* 3/4 with 850 or 950 would probably do the trick then. And I do usually sleep with a hoodie and socks on, so that would definitely help keep things warm enough at night, should it go below 50F/10C. I'll do some research on them and see what I think. I appreciate the input so far.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    All else being equal I believe a Yeti < Phoenix < Wooki < incubator in terms of volume and weight.

Keep in mind a yeti is shorter as well as asym compared to phoenix

I’ve used Wooki plenty on XLC and love them. If you sleep on your back with your legs in a figure 4 shape (one knee out), a tall person can get one leg outside of the insulated area. Shouldn’t be a big issue for summer though

When I get completist enough to get high summer stuff I will be torn between phoenix (or similar) and yeti. 6’2” but sleep hot. If I had to use a larger pad to make up for the shorter length of the yeti I would be annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, I do know the Yeti and Wooki are asymm, and that was something that I kind of liked since it only has insulation along where you'd be laying, not the entire fabric, to reduce some bulk. Right now I have my eyes on an economy 30* Phoenix, they seem a bit more economical than a Yeti and I like having the extra coverage available if I wanted. I'll have to do a bit more research on the Yeti though, my mind might change on which route I want to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast