How do you attach 1" Spider Daisy Chain Webbing to 2" 1.5 Spider Web Huggers as a RR suspension

Long time camper but just getting started with Hammock camping. I plan to camp in some states and parks that require 2 inch huggers. I have used the Kammock Python straps for an EMO hammock and liked how easy it was. The 1 inch Spider Daisy Chain webbing is lighter and stronger so I would like to use this with 2 inch 1.5 Spider Web huggers. Is there any hardware that will allow me to attach the 1 inch Spider Daisy Chain webbing to the 2 inch 1.5 Spider Web Huggers or would I need to find someone to sew the webbing onto the end of each hugger? Would I then just use a carabiner to attach a Warbonnet Ridge Runner to the Daisy Chain Webbing or is there better hardware I should use.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I'm not clear on what you're having difficulty w/. The huggers should have a loop at each end and the daisy chain strap should have at least a loop at one end.
    Just attach the loops together so that it looks like a square knot . . . not really sure how to describe it . . .

I see that now. I had looked at the description on the 2 inch straps which only have a loop on one end. Is a Carabiner the best hardware to attach the RR to the daisy chain strap?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Best is a personal thing based on too many factors. It's not the best for someone that wants a light weight setup w/o any metal in their hammock assembly, but it is the simplest if you're just car camping and weight or bulk doesn't really matter. But make sure it's a climbing rated carabiner if you're using it between the hammock and the suspension.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    BulldogDiver, Looks like you've figured out that the 2" Huggers have a loop on each end. That's sort of the definition of a hugger. If it's called a tree strap (webbing), it usually has a loop on one end and the other end is flat, making it easier to work with cinch buckles. Depending upon tree diameter, you can connect to both hugger loops or wrap around the tree and put one loop through the other. A finesse is to orient the rigging - if one strap is coming off the tree - so the strap is off the side of the tree, not of the middle. It's just a little easier on your gear.

Now as far as hardware ... as LowTech said, it's what you want to carry. When using daisy chain, I don't mind carrying two lightweight carabiners. Just clip and done. Here's the deal ... I don't like line-against-line. In my rock climbing days, I saw how quickly friction/heat can develop with one line rubbing against another under pressure. If you are pulling your rappel rope down and it just goes through a webbing loop instead of a metal ring, it can melt through the strap, or at least severally weaken it. That's not exactly the situation in a hammock. But I avoid line against line/webbings; a habit.

For example, with a whoopie sling, where the loop is resting on the knot, not on the toggle, I use a carabiner for the "toggle" clip the whoopie loop into the carabiner. That way, there is no concern about the loop slipping off the knot while the hammock is unloaded (like if you get up at night and it's windy and moving things around when you are out of the hammock.

My "no line-to-line" is a preference, not a law/rule. If it is not rubbing in any way, I'm sure it would be fine. Just check it occasionally, as you would any camping gear maintenance.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDiver View Post
    I see that now. I had looked at the description on the 2 inch straps which only have a loop on one end. Is a Carabiner the best hardware to attach the RR to the daisy chain strap?
    Tie a simple overhand knot in the other (non-sewn) end of the 2" webbing to make a loop. Then connect daisy and webbing loop with the proper loop-to-loop method.

Attach RR to daisy with a carabiner. Or you can skip the carabiner and use a non-hardware solution such as EZ soft shackle.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-31-2022 at 05:22.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Rig your Bridge with Dutch's Mantis hardware for that type of webbing. Works great.

• + New Posts