DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

Nano report: Harriman SP Soopah Ezee Loop!

Just getting back into things after a few weeks off due to an ankle problem and lingering Covid effects, mainly fatigue, I did a very easy overnight loop Mon-Tue (5/23-24) that somebody else might enjoy if looking for a non-strenuous beginner hike.

First day (half day, really) is only 5 miles with around 750 feet of vertical, and an easy 3 miles out the next morning with less than 500 feet of uppity stuff. On the 3 mile hike there is only one annoying little hill, from Lemon Squeezer to Surebridge, where it intersects Bottle Cap trail. But take your time and that is over before you know it! The hike starts/ends at Lake Skannatati parking area, which fills up quickly on weekends so get there early. Camping is on the hill due north of Island Pond. Gobs n gobs of perfect hammock trees.

I carried the Waymark pack and the summer load was so small that even with the Helinox chair TPW was 13.2lbs at the trail head. I took my time having breakfast and packing up, so I rekindled a small fire from the previous night's embers and warmed up a bit and re-heated my coffee. Livin's easy!

Caltopo Link! Easy Harriman SP hike.jpg

Camping on top of the hill was great, with fine weather, not too many bugs, not too chilly... although there was a little road noise but it tapers to nil at night.

20220523_172428.jpg 20220523_150653_M.jpg 20220523_194234.jpg

20220524_061538.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Fantastic trip report, good pack weight. Hope you get complete recovery on ankle and Covid. I’m beginning to get my pack weight down, thanks to your good example.
    Time to get out there while I can.
    Pix look cool

Thanks4 trip report.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Nice little getaway. Just starting to appreciate the variety of trails within Harriman.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    So lusciously green! Thanks for sharing

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Nice pics, sounds like a good trip. Always fun to get back out after some time off

how do you like the Waymark pack? was thinking about this pack but for a thru-hike of the A.T.?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ezdoesit View Post
    how do you like the Waymark pack? was thinking about this pack but for a thru-hike of the A.T.?
    I'm really liking the pack (EVLV) a lot. At first I got the 35L which was the only one available at the time, and found it to be a little too short for my torso. I'm 5'8" but find 19" or a skosh more to be a bit better fit.

So naturally not long after I started using it they came out with the 38L which is a bit longer in the torso and it is an absolutely perfect fit, and I added the LiteAF hip belt and Zpacks pocket to it and the whole setup is ideal.

I think it'd be great for a thru if your kit is really dialed in. As you probably already know, yhey also have the Thru 40L and Lite 50L framed models that would probably be better for heavier loads, such a big food carry.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    HAH I have that loop cached in the phone but the lot has always been full when i get there (late starter!) so i default over to Silvermine.

Sidelined by shoulder surgery after a bike crash, hopefully I'll be able to sling a pack in October (

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Bob, lemme know when you're ready! I'll happily join you in celebrating your inaugural post-recovery hike.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I did another loop from Skannatati yesterday, this time taking Pine Swamp Trail around to Beech Trail, up to Tiorati Brook and back south to the Long Path and finishing up at Big Hill. This was a little longer at 9.6mi and the ankle did pretty well. I was using the modified Spenco orthotics and next time will try my big-bucks orthotics from the Podiatrist. I've been doing regular local walks and it seems the fatigue is behind me, so now it's time to start pushing to work on aerobic and endurance aspects.

Mountain laurel is now in full bloom, and I think it won't last much longer than this coming weekend, so get out there if you wanna see it! It comes and goes rather quickly. Pink is rare in Harriman — the vast majority is white — but I encountered a big thicket of pink laurel on the way out this morning. However, first week of June is like clockwork for the mountain laurel bloom.

Rain was in the forecast so I was glad to be at camp near Big Hill shelter by 2:15pm and was able orient the tarp against the direction of incoming weather. It was quite gusty the whole time, so I made a little rock windbreak for my Esbit cook setup and heated up water for coffee, which this time was Black Rifle instant, which was suggested in another thread. It was excellent and will be my new trail coffee. It rained a lot and was windy but had stopped by this morning, although still a little breezy. Last night I felt that some of the gusts tested my tarp's limits a couple of times.

Beech_Big_Hill_Loop, Caltopo tracks... Beech_Big_Hill_Loop.jpg

Mountain laurel blooms... everywhere! 20220608_080440.jpg 20220608_080519.jpg

Gathering clouds after noon. 20220607_103415.jpg

New bridge, almost finished, oddly over a small stream that is a side creek of a side creek of Tiorati Brook. Hmm, looks as if it was designed on SolidWorks and pre-cut. Pretty darn robust joinery!

20220607_113230.jpg 20220607_113258.jpg

Camp near Big Hill... 20220607_165316.jpg 20220607_165249.jpg

Tiny little nook made from rocks worked very well with my Esbit setup in the strong gusts. Black Rifle Instant Coffee for the win!

20220607_153329.jpg 20220607_152536.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-09-2022 at 08:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast