Towns end luxury vs Haven XL

I am a wannabe hammock sleeper who has never been able to sleep for a night in a hammock. I have tried Hennessy, Jacks r better, blackbird, amok 3, but either I have shoulder squeeze, or the hammock is too small for comfort. At 63 years of age this is going to be my last try. I am 6' tall and weigh about 220. Sleep on my back and sides. I am currently looking at either of the two hammocks above. Can anyone offer sage wisdom on a direction?

Thanks

Hammock
    Towns end luxury bridge
    Tarp
    Kelty noah 16
    Insulation
    Kifaru woobie
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    I’m new here too, been lurking for awhile. I had a the same idea as you. Wanna be hammock sleeper who never was able to get a full night sleep in a hammock until the towns end luxury bridge.

I had a hennesy for years, slept but never perfect— kids enjoyed it more than me

bought a double layer ridge runner off the classifieds here a couple months ago it is OK but without a pad shoulder squeeze was bad — the pad made it bearable

then I learned of the Townsend — I reached out to Bill and bought one new from him a day or 2 after learning his hammock existed

I’ve had it for a month now. I bet I have 15 nights in it — built myself a stand to use in my house. Spent my 1st night outdoors, in the backyard, this week in it under a kelty 16 tarp

It’s something you have to try. I have it dialed in now and sleep really well in it.

I’m a little younger at 53. 6’ tall and 210 pounds wear an XL shirt/jacket

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    If by Haven you mean you mean Haven Tent XL, it'll be expensive, heavy, and last I heard uses custom-sized pads so if you ever wanted to swap to a warmer/lighter one you'd have to buy directly from them. It may be comfortable, but I don't think you'll find it more comfortable than one of Bill's hammocks, and certainly not anywhere close to the same weight.
    Q: Does it get any better than kayak camping?

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Bill is a jerk, and a liar. I wouldn't trust anything he has to say. Best of luck dealing with that guy

Bottom line might simply be your use case:
    If you have vehicle support and don't care about weight or size- probably not a concern.
    If you might need to travel in the backcountry... seems to be a valid concern.

Probably your best bet is to review what others pointed out in other threads

Big Guy owner debating the Haven XL- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...64134-Haven-XL

The main thread on them bridges- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Bridge-update

Spiguyver recently reviewed both hammocks- Same user/source at least.
    Unfortunately though- both are pretty obscure hammocks and probably hard to find direct user testimony who tried both.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Awww Bill - quit being so hard on yourself! ��

I’ve had Bill’s BGBH for a few years now and swear by it. I’m 6’ and 265 and a side sleeper. Not that I’m cheating on him, but I just got a Haven Safari just out of curiosity and that thing is a beast..car camping only! The BGBH is and remains my primary & go-to hammock.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    There’s no way I would have a hammock that requires a pad. At that point just go with a tent and hit the ground. The Townsend bridge is the most comfortable hammock I’ve used ,and a pretty nice piece. Plus Bill is a helpful guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    I’ll start by saying, if this weirdo bill guy brings a hammock to market, whatever the style, Id buy it. His medium size is what suits me. I had the full size luxury but didn’t need it. The haven is really neat. I had 2 of the original size, sold 1 and kept the other primarily for my son. It is comfy, and if used with the included tarp as an all inclusive setup it’s the easiest system out there to set up. I won’t bother debating the weight. Yes it’s heavier, but for me the bigger problem is you really need to air up the pad to the point that it just isn’t as comfortable as it could be. You really need to try this stuff out for yourself to ultimately decide what’s right for you. I’m always wanting to hit the buy button on the haven xl but I kid you not… when I lay in a Townsend hammock, i always think to myself, why would I want to lay on a pad that sweats and creates pressure points when I don’t have to? Bills bridges have even made me into a back sleeper, which I truly believe is the warmest way to sleep in cold weather. I do believe haven has a try it and if you don’t like it, send it back option. They really are a great company with fantastic customer service.
    kris

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I am your size and I have both a Haven XL and a Townsend Luxury Bridge. For me, I like the lux bridge much better. The biggest downfall for the Haven IMO, is it’s super noisy if you toss or turn, or even breathe a bit funny. It is a nice complete system, easy to set up, and even the small tarp is fine for me, considering it just has to keep you covered. It feels more like a tent than a hammock, except for the sleeping on the ground like a dog part.

But…. I sleep nightly in a gathered end. I am more comfortable side sleeping in one and no matter what I try, I end up back in a gathered end hammock after a few nights.

• + New Posts