Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jungle recommendations?

Hello all!

I’m in the military (Air Force) and have an upcoming deployment to Panama. I’m assigned to a non-military organization in Hawaii that goes to mostly SE Asia to excavate and recover remains of POW/MIA Americans from conflicts over the last several decades. We get issued some military gear but it’s bivouac style sleep systems. We’re allowed to take our own gear….which started my research into hammocks. I have a Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker with the Supershelter system. It was a used eBay purchase and even though I’ve set it up and saw no issues, it’s been in storage for 7ish years…so I think that’s going to be my backup.

Curious what you all would go with for sleep system in a jungle/rain forest environment - very hot, humid, and wet. It will be raining a lot. Staying dry is the most important factor. Ruggedness/toughness is probably the next most important. And a good nights sleep after manual labor all day is a close 3rd. We’ll be flown in on a chopper with a short trek to the site, so weight isn’t a big concern. Hammock, suspension, tarp, accessories….how would you do it? Money isn’t a concern because I’ll essentially get reimbursed.

The only thing I’m leaning towards so far is a Snugpak jungle bag for its anti-microbial properties but would defer to better judgement.

Thank you!

TSgt Hay

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    When I've been in the jungle I'm happiest in a Mayan style hammock, fronkey style bug net, and a major tarp.
    Now I might add an UQP on the outside of the bugnet. I feel like that really seals the net and adds very little for heat retention. Of course it also blocks the breeze so experimenting would be in order.

Mayan style huh? Those are made mostly of cotton right? You didn’t run into any issues with the moisture wicking from the suspension lines? I’ve been told that it rains a lot where we’ll be so that would be something to combat.

-Hay

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    There are cotton or nylon (or whatever the modern equivalent is nowadays) string ones. The cotton can absorb some moisture and mold if not able to dry out, but is more comfortable. The synthetic is less prone to mold and rot but not as comfortable in my opinion.
    When picking a Mayan hammock, if you decide to go that route, try to get one that has a lot of threads and a good weave. That means the loop at both ends should be pretty thick and you should NOT easily be able to push an open hand, fingers up, through the netting. Hammocks w/ less threads and a more open weave are not as comfortable.

As far as rain wicking down to the hammock from the suspension straps, that just requires a drip line attached to the suspension under the tarp edge.
    And don't skimp on tarp size as you may be hanging out under it a bit.
    I wouldn't go super long as that means trees have to be farther apart, but wide would be a plus.

Where in Panama? I haven't been for a while but have friends up closer to the Costa Rica border that I want to get back down and see.

And if you're going anytime in the next several months it will be rainy season, so get ok w/ being wet.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I would strongly recommend to skip zippered bugnets and buy these right away. Bottom entry.

hammock:
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/11...fabric-layer-1

bugnet:
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/bottom-entry-bugnet/

and 13ft tarp for those heavy rains in Panama, you will need some space for sure around your hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    There are cotton or nylon (or whatever the modern equivalent is nowadays) string ones. The cotton can absorb some moisture and mold if not able to dry out, but is more comfortable. The synthetic is less prone to mold and rot but not as comfortable in my opinion.
    When picking a Mayan hammock, if you decide to go that route, try to get one that has a lot of threads and a good weave. That means the loop at both ends should be pretty thick and you should NOT easily be able to push an open hand, fingers up, through the netting. Hammocks w/ less threads and a more open weave are not as comfortable.

As far as rain wicking down to the hammock from the suspension straps, that just requires a drip line attached to the suspension under the tarp edge.
    And don't skimp on tarp size as you may be hanging out under it a bit.
    I wouldn't go super long as that means trees have to be farther apart, but wide would be a plus.

Where in Panama? I haven't been for a while but have friends up closer to the Costa Rica border that I want to get back down and see.

And if you're going anytime in the next several months it will be rainy season, so get ok w/ being wet.
    Gotchya. I hadn’t really heard much of the Mayan style but looks like it has lots of positive reviews. I’m a little leary because it seems marketed more for comfort but I’m not seeing much on how rugged/resilient it is. Worst case scenario would be my hammock breaking and having to sleep on the wet ground with all the critters.

I’m pretty sure we’re going to be around the Santiago area. They haven’t released specific site details yet. I’m pretty sure we’re not going to have much real estate for the camp location but if I need more room for my tarp, I’ll just cut down some of the trees/brush.

And yes, we’ll be there in the 4th quarter of this year so Im mentally preparing for being wet most of the time. After I decide on hammock system I’ll start looking into clothing. Nothing waterproof because it won’t matter. Breathable and tough clothes are the criteria there.

-Hay

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by haYstaKz View Post
    Gotchya. I hadn’t really heard much of the Mayan style but looks like it has lots of positive reviews. I’m a little leary because it seems marketed more for comfort but I’m not seeing much on how rugged/resilient it is. Worst case scenario would be my hammock breaking and having to sleep on the wet ground with all the critters.

I’m pretty sure we’re going to be around the Santiago area. They haven’t released specific site details yet. I’m pretty sure we’re not going to have much real estate for the camp location but if I need more room for my tarp, I’ll just cut down some of the trees/brush.

And yes, we’ll be there in the 4th quarter of this year so Im mentally preparing for being wet most of the time. After I decide on hammock system I’ll start looking into clothing. Nothing waterproof because it won’t matter. Breathable and tough clothes are the criteria there.

-Hay
    For multiple years I used a cotton Mayan hammock for three to four months at a time down there and even have one here in the desert that I brought back years ago. I'm pretty close to switching out the nylon camping hammock that I've been sleeping in to that Mayan for the summer heat.

When a Mayan string hammock suffers damage (from catching it on clothing buttons or other random things) it does it by breaking a string. Just make sure it's woven through the other strings the way it should be and tie the ends of the broken string together . . . Fixed. No major crash like when a nylon one gives it up.

And I'd recommend at least a matrimonial sized one since you not out backpacking the trails.

Interesting! Two votes for open style hammocks and fronkey nets.

I was expecting suggestions for DD jungle, Hennessy Safari/Jungle, Blackbird XLC….stuff like that. What’s the reason for not going with a zippered setup and using the fronkey style net?

Also, I’m leaning towards the Superfly tarp because I like the idea of a more inclosed sleeping area. Not sure that would be wise with the potential lack of airflow…but I’m also expecting it to be raining most of the time. Idk…what do you think? Square/rectangular tarp or tarp with doors?

-Hay

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    The Mayan doesn't have anything to zip a net to. A zippered net hammock is going to be a nylon camping hammock.
    You will probably need to make your own ridgeline, it doesn't have to be structural, just to hold the netting up. Any decent cord that you can tie from one end loop to the other will be enough to hold the fronkey style net up.
    If you can get a net that goes all the way to the ground and then some I think it's better than just how most fronkey style gather up under you. W/ that gather there is normally a hole that your UQ plugs, a Mayan style won't stop the biters from biting you through that hole. That why I sometimes use an UQP over the net. But one that went all the way to the ground was what we used w/ great success. SLD would probably make one to your specs. They also have bragged about tarps.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I've rarely experienced strong winds because of all the trees, so any wide tarp in a shallow porch mode should work. I would want a big rectangle that I could use the ends as doors if needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast