Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Bottom entry bugnet is safer. Just imagine. You open zippered bugnet on your hammock, you sit in the hammock. Just in these few moments, the bugs of the jungle are already there. Everytime you need something, you open the zipper. Not good. Bottom entry is a good barrier for the bugs to find the way inside.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Personal options ahead.

Rain should not be that big of a concern as long as you have a tarp and pitch it right. The Ultimate Hang 2 has good details on this. https://theultimatehang.com/

As for bugs,there are lots of options. You need to worry about the ones that can fly in your face though that is relatively straight forward. Get some sort of bug net. I prefer integrated as it is less hassle and more secure on top. But that does not solve the problem of them bitting you through the hammock itself. Some vendors claim that a double layer will solve that (Hennessey offers some if you like the hennesse). I personally do not trust this and use an underquilt to add a thicker barrier. The bottom entry bugnet (not integrated) solves this though the images I have seen it does not appear that it zips lose on the bottom. But maybe it does. In my experience, if the bugs are bad they will find a way if there is any gap.

So my personal advice would be a Warbonnet or Dutch hammock with a say 40 degree UQ. And learn to get the UQ cinched up right. Not sure if someone makes a ‘cooler’ UQs than 40 degrees. But this could be pretty cheap from someone like wiseowl and still be OK.

My 2c
    Last edited by Sean McC; 05-29-2022 at 21:39.

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    The Mayan doesn't have anything to zip a net to. A zippered net hammock is going to be a nylon camping hammock.
    You will probably need to make your own ridgeline, it doesn't have to be structural, just to hold the netting up. Any decent cord that you can tie from one end loop to the other will be enough to hold the fronkey style net up.
    If you can get a net that goes all the way to the ground and then some I think it's better than just how most fronkey style gather up under you. W/ that gather there is normally a hole that your UQ plugs, a Mayan style won't stop the biters from biting you through that hole. That why I sometimes use an UQP over the net. But one that went all the way to the ground was what we used w/ great success. SLD would probably make one to your specs. They also have bragged about tarps.
    Maybe something like this - would need to do some tweaking on your ridgeline or maybe run dual internal ridgelines under your tarp - and add some weights to the bottom hem, but seems like the general idea.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    That's funny, the first winter I spent in Costa Rica/Panama the lady I was traveling w/ had something like that. She had cut holes in the ends and sewn in a cone of netting so that it fit the suspension of the hammock. We both slept in one good sized Mayan hammock inside that net.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Just to add some info here,
    I hung my Mayan up since we're getting hit w/ a major heatwave and I wanted the breezy coolness. While it was up I took some measurements.

Mine is not even the largest one available and this is what I got.
    I added a ridgeline as if I was going to put a net on it. Even w/ a deep sag the ridgeline was 12' long. It was also 4' above the hammock. That also put the tree strap attachments above head high.
    I see that I could easily need a 15'-16' tarp and net if I had it at a standard 30°.

So my recommendation would be to avoid buying a tarp or net until you have a hammock in hand and have hung it a time or two to get some real measurements off of.

Of course if you decide to go a different route then disregard.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo xl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Ugq 0 degree
    Suspension
    Slapstraps
    A good quality synthetic Mayan hammock will last for years of near constant use. Ours has spent about 6 months of the year for the past 4 years hanging on the deck of our boat.
    JEB

Hammock
    Clark N-270
    I am by no means an experienced hammock hanger. That being said, I just got back from CR on the Osa Peninsula. It rained on us every night. In my experience in the Jungle the rain pretty much came straight down with little to no wind. I was able to hang my 13' warbonnet superfly nice and high above my hammock for air to circulate and still stay dry. I did take the time to seam seal all the pull outs and ridge-line. It was defiantly nice to have the extra big tarp to move around a bit. The most difficult part was finding two trees that were around 15' apart. Most big hammock supporting trees were 20-30' apart. Had to hunt a bit for a good spot to hang.

Hope this helps.

Thank you haYstaKz for your service!! Happy 4th!!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Why I'm high humidity would cotton be good, it absorbs sweat so bad and keeps you wet. I can see in a dry heat like a desert, but a jungle climate would be humid and I would think the hammock would always be wet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12