Simply Light Designs - Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps

Looking for recommendations on a hammock

I've been hammocking for many years and I'm still trying to find the perfect hammock.

So far I've used a Kammok Roo, Dutchware Chameleon & Warbonnet El Dorado. For me the Kammok was by far the most comfortable hammock I have. Being a bigger guy, I think that it is the wider hammocks that work better for me.

The El Dorado is around 62" wide and is what I am currently using, but I'm looking for something a little wider, but in the same weight "class". I'd also like a ridgeline & bugnet (removeable). Do you have any recommendations?

While I'm on the subject also, does anyone out there know a backpack that is made for someone with wider shoulders? It just seems like the straps on all my packs could be a few inches wider and would ride a lot better.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    You should check out the Sparrow from Dream Hammock. Their hammocks are fully customizable and are extremely well-made. If you contact Randy, he'll walk you through the process and make recommendations based on your height, weight, and sleeping preferences.

I'm going to keep my response to hammock-related only, so this thread doesn't get moved to the donating members forum.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Jared at Simply Light Designs is generally willing to work with people on custom gear, especially fabric width and length; the bugnet on the Trail Lair unzips almost all the way (you can stow it out of the way), but doesn’t come all the way off. I don’t have any idea whether that’s negotiable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member mountain wanderer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    You should check out the Sparrow from Dream Hammock. Their hammocks are fully customizable and are extremely well-made. If you contact Randy, he'll walk you through the process and make recommendations based on your height, weight, and sleeping preferences.

I'm going to keep my response to hammock-related only, so this thread doesn't get moved to the donating members forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    Jared at Simply Light Designs is generally willing to work with people on custom gear, especially fabric width and length; the bugnet on the Trail Lair unzips almost all the way (you can stow it out of the way), but doesn’t come all the way off. I don’t have any idea whether that’s negotiable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you! I'll check both of those out!

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Lately I’ve been enjoying my Dream Hammock Freebird in the 2.2 Hex 70 which is a rather heavier weight fabric than what most seem to choose.

I got it because I have a dog that occasionally likes to get in the hammock and it was the recommended fabric to hold up to such abuse. I like a firmer flat hammock with no stretch and I just love the comfort and simplicity of this hammock.

I would imagine a sparrow is equally comfy with all the bells and whistles available.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    Lately I’ve been enjoying my Dream Hammock Freebird in the 2.2 Hex 70 which is a rather heavier weight fabric than what most seem to choose.

I got it because I have a dog that occasionally likes to get in the hammock and it was the recommended fabric to hold up to such abuse. I like a firmer flat hammock with no stretch and I just love the comfort and simplicity of this hammock.

I would imagine a sparrow is equally comfy with all the bells and whistles available.
    Thanks! I'll check that out!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Is your Roo Kammok a double, 69" wide? If so, you might to look at the wide offerings. The regular Chameleon is 57" wide...the Eldorado 62". The Wide Chameleon is 68". I don't think WB makes wide hammocks. Definitely check around with others as well (Dream Hammock, SLD, etc).

In the past when I was researching packs, I saw some some offer J straps and S straps. J straps were mostly for men, S straps for women and athletic builds. The only vendor I was aware of that offered them was ULA. Maybe drop them an email asking for advice? Also check this thread for discussion and pic comparing the straps: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/77785/

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Is your Roo Kammok a double, 69" wide? If so, you might to look at the wide offerings. The regular Chameleon is 57" wide...the Eldorado 62". The Wide Chameleon is 68". I don't think WB makes wide hammocks. Definitely check around with others as well (Dream Hammock, SLD, etc).

In the past when I was researching packs, I saw some some offer J straps and S straps. J straps were mostly for men, S straps for women and athletic builds. The only vendor I was aware of that offered them was ULA. Maybe drop them an email asking for advice? Also check this thread for discussion and pic comparing the straps: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/77785/
    Thank you! The 62" on my El Dorado is just not quite wide enough. Granted, I've had plenty of great nights in it. But to get those great nights I have to sleep with the bug net on & closed to allow me to stretch out all of the way. I'd like to get the same feeling without the use of the bugnet.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    And he's in Idaho as well!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    And he's in Idaho as well!