DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Have you tried a 12ft length? I found that a longer hammock made for a more comfortable sleep. While there are sometimes limits with fabric width, it’s easy to make a longer hammock. Many of the cottage vendors will make you a 12 ft hammock with all the fixins

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWx View Post
    Have you tried a 12ft length? I found that a longer hammock made for a more comfortable sleep. While there are sometimes limits with fabric width, it’s easy to make a longer hammock. Many of the cottage vendors will make you a 12 ft hammock with all the fixins
    I'm going to have to differ a bit here - I find that width is as important if not more than length, or at least there's an intersection at which there's a "sweet spot" for the taller/bigger person. For me, at 6'4", an 11' hammock is perfect, provided the width is adequate. I've even been comfortable in a 10 1/2' hammock without shoulder squeeze or calf ridge, although "hangle" - and tree spacing - gets super important at that length; but anything less than 58 inches in width is extremely uncomfortable, and 60" or more is better. I've only ever really found one 58" hammock that was incredibly comfortable at 10.5 feet for me, and I'm not sure what magic they did to make that work.

But most of the cottage vendors will be pleased to make you an 11' hammock that is wider than 60" and you'll be quite comfortable, IMO. You've already had some recommendations, but I'll toss a few more out there:

Anne-Marie at Autumn Outdoor Gear. (HyperD 1.6 and MTN 1.7 are the choices here; both will get you a wider hammock. MTN 1.7 is slightly stiffer, has a slightly higher weight limit, HyperD packs down slightly smaller, and to me has a slightly smoother feel. Anne-Marie has some really nifty sewing tricks she does with her hammocks, too)

John and Karen at TrailHeadz Hammocks (The 1.6 XL might be what you're looking for; though I'm in the Banshee and I love it. Soft, breathable, and light as a puff of air. Karen can sew spider silk into a hammock, I'm convinced of it.)

Any of the gang at DutchWare (just reach out to them with an email and tell them what you're looking for - it may take them a little bit to get back to you, but they're great folks. There's an almost overwhelming menu of potential customization options)

Welcome to the first step in your addiction - er, hammock journey.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Senior Member mountain wanderer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Simply Light Designs - Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DocTheo View Post
    I'm going to have to differ a bit here - I find that width is as important if not more than length, or at least there's an intersection at which there's a "sweet spot" for the taller/bigger person. For me, at 6'4", an 11' hammock is perfect, provided the width is adequate. I've even been comfortable in a 10 1/2' hammock without shoulder squeeze or calf ridge, although "hangle" - and tree spacing - gets super important at that length; but anything less than 58 inches in width is extremely uncomfortable, and 60" or more is better. I've only ever really found one 58" hammock that was incredibly comfortable at 10.5 feet for me, and I'm not sure what magic they did to make that work.

But most of the cottage vendors will be pleased to make you an 11' hammock that is wider than 60" and you'll be quite comfortable, IMO. You've already had some recommendations, but I'll toss a few more out there:

Anne-Marie at Autumn Outdoor Gear. (HyperD 1.6 and MTN 1.7 are the choices here; both will get you a wider hammock. MTN 1.7 is slightly stiffer, has a slightly higher weight limit, HyperD packs down slightly smaller, and to me has a slightly smoother feel. Anne-Marie has some really nifty sewing tricks she does with her hammocks, too)

John and Karen at TrailHeadz Hammocks (The 1.6 XL might be what you're looking for; though I'm in the Banshee and I love it. Soft, breathable, and light as a puff of air. Karen can sew spider silk into a hammock, I'm convinced of it.)

Any of the gang at DutchWare (just reach out to them with an email and tell them what you're looking for - it may take them a little bit to get back to you, but they're great folks. There's an almost overwhelming menu of potential customization options)

Welcome to the first step in your addiction - er, hammock journey.
    I'm with you, I think that 11' is fine (haven't tried 12' to be honest), but I think that the width is what I am looking for. My Chameleon (57" width I think) didn't work for me. I had plenty of decent nights in it, but never the absolutely heavenly nights that I would get in my Kammok. Then switched to the El Dorado (62.5" width I think) was a little better, but still not that great sleep that I was able to get in my Kammok.

To anyone coming into this thread, I've already ordered a Trail Lair from Simply Light Designs. I think that it has everything that I'm looking for. And the final kicker was that we're both in the Panhandle of Idaho!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Just like others I have owned many Dutchware, Warbonnet and Dream hammocks and they were all great; until I bought a RR Bridge. After that for me was more comfortable than the gathered ends ever were. I am 6'2" and weigh 215lbs and fit great in the RR.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
    Just like others I have owned many Dutchware, Warbonnet and Dream hammocks and they were all great; until I bought a RR Bridge. After that for me was more comfortable than the gathered ends ever were. I am 6'2" and weigh 215lbs and fit great in the RR.
    I'm pretty sure that my next hammock might be a bridge hammock

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    I'll check it out! Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my next hammock might be a bridge hammock

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    I'll check it out! Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12