HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Here's my .02 for a trip...

I mapped out a loop on Caltopo that might meet the criteria you outlined. If you're not familiar with Caltopo, you can click on the "graph" icon next to each section listed on the left hand side and get a profile for that section (I'm on a PC...not sure how (or if) it works on a cell phone without using a web browser...). Keep in mind the distances calculated in Caltopo have not been very precise for me in the past. Anything under 5 miles I typically use a +/- of 0.5 miles and any lines over 10 miles I use a +/- of 1 mile.

Summary
    Day 1: Elk Garden to Thomas Knob - 4 Miles
    Day 2: Thomas Knob to Lewis Fork Wilderness - 4 Miles
    Day 3: Lewis Fork to campsite subaruWx described - 3 Miles
    Day 4: subaruWx to Elk Garden - 2 Miles

Caltopo Link
    https://caltopo.com/m/RMFBC

Day 1: Elk Garden to Thomas Knob
    Looks like 4 miles all uphill for about a 1250ft gain. Doesn't look like any slopes are super steep though. I've found decent hammock spots in the past on the wooded side of the trail between Thomas Knob and the Mt Rogers Split. Picnic table, bear box, and shelter (duh!) available.
    Profile:
    EG_Day01.pdf

Day 2: Thomas Knob to Lewis Fork
    4 miles back downhill. Again nothing crazy. I recommend sticking to the Crest Trail over the Pine Mountain Trail. Last time I did it, the Pine Mountain Trail was not as well maintained and had more little rock scrambles and such. The Cliffside Trail to the Lewis Fork trail is well marked. The main campsite at Lewis Fork is right next to the creek. There's maybe three spots for hanging hammocks in the main campsite (maybe) but there are lots of trees around if you're willing to bushwhack it a little. I included a picture below of my setup from last September (that white rectangle in the middle is my tarp). No bear box, no picnic tables, no shelter. There were a couple of fire pits built last time I was there.
    Profile:
    EG_Day02.pdf

Day 3: Lewis Fork to subaruWx
    3 miles uphill to where the hiking trail and horse trail meet up where subaruWx mentions a campsite and spring. The Lewis Fork Spur trail was well marked and cuts over to the Mt Rogers trail.
    Profile:
    EG_Day03.pdf

Lewis Fork Campsite
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ttjhjdP4LWgfis8XA

Day 04: It's jus t2 miles back to the car. How hard can it be?(.....duh duh duhhhh! <insert nefarious music here>)

I'm hoping to make it up there Friday (6/24) so be sure to post whatever route you guys might be taking. I'd love to come find you guys. One thing to be aware of for making plans at Grayson...every time I've ever included a horse trail in my route it has always ended up either being a giant rock garden, a mild river with the trail somewhere underneath the water, a giant mud puddle, or the combination of all three! I avoid them at all cost now if I can.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Below is a link to a video of one of my loops around Mt. Rogers. At about the 3 minute mark is the spot with a view that I usually grab at Thomas Knob. It's about an 1/4 mile past the shelter headed towards Pine Mountain.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chknbone View Post
    Here's my .02 for a trip...

I mapped out a loop on Caltopo that might meet the criteria you outlined. If you're not familiar with Caltopo, you can click on the "graph" icon next to each section listed on the left hand side and get a profile for that section (I'm on a PC...not sure how (or if) it works on a cell phone without using a web browser...). Keep in mind the distances calculated in Caltopo have not been very precise for me in the past. Anything under 5 miles I typically use a +/- of 0.5 miles and any lines over 10 miles I use a +/- of 1 mile.

Summary
    Day 1: Elk Garden to Thomas Knob - 4 Miles
    Day 2: Thomas Knob to Lewis Fork Wilderness - 4 Miles
    Day 3: Lewis Fork to campsite subaruWx described - 3 Miles
    Day 4: subaruWx to Elk Garden - 2 Miles

Caltopo Link
    https://caltopo.com/m/RMFBC

Day 1: Elk Garden to Thomas Knob
    Looks like 4 miles all uphill for about a 1250ft gain. Doesn't look like any slopes are super steep though. I've found decent hammock spots in the past on the wooded side of the trail between Thomas Knob and the Mt Rogers Split. Picnic table, bear box, and shelter (duh!) available.
    Profile:
    EG_Day01.pdf

Day 2: Thomas Knob to Lewis Fork
    4 miles back downhill. Again nothing crazy. I recommend sticking to the Crest Trail over the Pine Mountain Trail. Last time I did it, the Pine Mountain Trail was not as well maintained and had more little rock scrambles and such. The Cliffside Trail to the Lewis Fork trail is well marked. The main campsite at Lewis Fork is right next to the creek. There's maybe three spots for hanging hammocks in the main campsite (maybe) but there are lots of trees around if you're willing to bushwhack it a little. I included a picture below of my setup from last September (that white rectangle in the middle is my tarp). No bear box, no picnic tables, no shelter. There were a couple of fire pits built last time I was there.
    Profile:
    EG_Day02.pdf

Day 3: Lewis Fork to subaruWx
    3 miles uphill to where the hiking trail and horse trail meet up where subaruWx mentions a campsite and spring. The Lewis Fork Spur trail was well marked and cuts over to the Mt Rogers trail.
    Profile:
    EG_Day03.pdf

Lewis Fork Campsite
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ttjhjdP4LWgfis8XA

Day 04: It's jus t2 miles back to the car. How hard can it be?(.....duh duh duhhhh! <insert nefarious music here>)

I'm hoping to make it up there Friday (6/24) so be sure to post whatever route you guys might be taking. I'd love to come find you guys. One thing to be aware of for making plans at Grayson...every time I've ever included a horse trail in my route it has always ended up either being a giant rock garden, a mild river with the trail somewhere underneath the water, a giant mud puddle, or the combination of all three! I avoid them at all cost now if I can.
    Very nice! I preferred foot trails rather than horse trails, for those very reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    Below is a link to a video of one of my loops around Mt. Rogers. At about the 3 minute mark is the spot with a view that I usually grab at Thomas Knob. It's about an 1/4 mile past the shelter headed towards Pine Mountain.

Nice loop but maybe a little more than I would want to tackle after being out of the game so long.
    I'll keep this in mind for a later time though.
    Thanks.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    I hope you had a great trip - would love a trip report. It’s been a couple of weeks and I’m itching to get back there for a breeze and temperatures I can actually hike and sleep in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWx View Post
    I hope you had a great trip - would love a trip report. It’s been a couple of weeks and I’m itching to get back there for a breeze and temperatures I can actually hike and sleep in.
    It was great! Thanks.

I'll tell about it in "Trip Reports" soon.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Congrats Tim,

Glad to see you are out "there"
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345